Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATI rage pro 3d vs ATI rage XL

Thanks

PJ :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I´m not planning on buying one of these, i already have them both and the Rage 3D is in my HTPC. I wonder if the other is better for the HTPC?

I also have one Matrox g-400 and one g-450 maybe one of them is a better solution?

PJ

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi PJ:

___Having used the Rage chipset in the ancient by today’s std.’s Rage Fury, you are really walking backwards with that video chipset. When watching DVD’s via 19†Monitor (I used to do that by the way ;)), you could easily see the poor output in comparison to the Matrox G400’s, GeForce 256’s, even the Hollywood + over the PQ of that Rage Fury I was playing with 2 + years ago. You can easily see improvements from that point in time with the GeForce 2’s/3’s as well as the Radeon’s afterwards.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so i guess i will go for the G-450 then..

PJ

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi PJ:

___The Matrox G400/500 series of cards DVD output was surpassed well over 2 years ago by first the GeForce’s and than the Radeon’s. Having no overlay control really pounded the nail in their coffin as well. Maybe today they have a overlay adjustments in their driver sets but the Radeon’s are cheaper and have the best output to date.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an AIT Rage Pro 128 3d card right now and am planning on setting up a HTPC. The ATI has S-video and RCA output. I am also going to be making a custom cable to output VGA to the RBG input on a Sony 1030Q projector. Since that will use the VGA would it be better to use a newer card? Also have an Nvidia TNT chipset card. Would not be opposed to *buying* a new card either - Which card is the current "best bang for the buck" in terms of Home Theater performance?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Xcel, i actually have these 4 cards and after spending $2300 on an audio upgrade last month i need to take it easy for a while (WAF) so if u have to choose one of these 4 cards what would it be and why?

;)

PJ

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Dave:

___First off, welcome to the HT Computer forum.

___Finally, I see you can still pick up the Radeon “LE’s†for ~ $75.00 shipped here in the states. Fanless and the best PQ from a video card to date is about all that needs to be said. Driver support is a bit flaky as has been the case with all ATI cards produced in the last 5 years but once setup, you will not regret spending so little for such a nice display ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.