AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am trying to figure out how I can tweek the color on my lcd projector. Currently, I have a panny RP-56 and AE100 (using component). Colors stink. Tint needs to be different for dark Vs light scenes. I was hoping that Powerstrip would do this for me (color curves). I can play with color for the desktop and applications to my hearts content. Problem is that when I play a DVD, the color settings are ignored. Am I missing something? Will Powerstrip do what I want, and I just need different hardware, or will Powerstrip not allow me to change the colors for DVD playback? I understand that most people use Powerstrip for pixel timing / resolution stuff. The video card / software combo I currently have does not have any gamma adjust, just the usual bright/contrast/color/tint control.

I have tried several DVD players, screens, and walls. All show the same poor color effect. If I had more control over the color, I might be able to watch a movie without focusing on flesh tone changes from scene to scene.

I am a heathen :p , so feel free to tell me what I am doing wrong, or where I should be looking for a solution.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hi Amadeus, Powerstrip will control the color to a point but you are better off adjusting the projector for the correct color balance. Power strip is more as you said for the timing and position of the screen, refresh rates etc.

Do you have a test disk like Avia or Video Essentials? These are one of the best ways to get the correct color balance.

I am confused though, you say you have the PR-56 then use power strip, are you inputting the PR-56 into a HTPC through a capture card?

Can you explain a bit more about how you have you system hooked up together. What cables / inputs etc.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Posted this question almost a month ago - and now help! Yay for me!

Well over the past few weeks, I have come to the conclusion that I need to adjust the gamma to get balanced picture color. Problem is how? I have not found one on the DVD player, any transcoder, or projector (beyond the dynamic, normal, cinema, ? settings). So I tried my PC last weekend. Old PIII 500 with an (equally old) ATI all in wonder card. Color balance was much better, but not perfect. Used powerstrip to approach (but not get to) a pixel perfect setting.

Seems that I have a poorly calibrated AE100. Some people have great luck right out of the box, but I have a unit that just does not look good as is.

I am going to try two things - I have a Hoya FL-D filter on order (hey, it might help!), and, when I get a few other summer time fun things finished, I will be building a HTPC and finding some software that will allow me to change the gamma on the overlay.

I have looked for the AVIA test CD, and came up with zip. I have used the THX calibration that is included in some movies, but to no great benefit. With the RP-56, I was using component in. Used powerstrip with a laptop at the time - did not work well. Cables are that brand that is cheaper than monster cable - I forget the name. I did a search here and they were rated as a good set to use.

There does not seem to be many people here that are having color problems with the AE100 - my searches have come up with no useful info. Most are about improving contrast / brightness / screen door etc. I have color problems! Just my luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.