AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!, I' am probably one more of the millions of "lost" people in the search of a HDTV.

I being reading a lot about it and checking out stores, but I got to a point that I realize that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY, am I wrong?.

After that I finally thought that I will find the right TV, but now I don' t even know what I want.

The wide screen makes the faces look to wide, when you are watching regular TV. The problem is some people tell you that you can not watch in a wide TV with gray bars on the side, they say that will harm it. But some people say it will not harm it.

So, first: who is right?

And second: If will harm it, would not be better to buy a regular big screen TV?

Please if somebody knows about it I need lots of help.

Thanks.

Marce.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Marce,

4:3 viewing on a widescreen TV is only distorted if you're using the wrong screen mode.

On my Toshiba 34HF81, you have 4 different choices and a couple of them are very viewable !

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Get the 16x9 widescreen, it makes the HD and DVDs fantastic. I will not watch a streched picture so I always have black bars on 4x3 material. My 65" widescreen Toshiba is 1 1/2 years old and there is absloutely no burn in. Just keep your contrast below 50%.

The only sets that get burn-in are stores where they run the contrast 100% 24/7.

Rick R

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you get the regular big screen, you will kick yourself in a couple of years. If you get the widescreen, there are many wide screens that will only stretch the extreme left and right portions of the picture leaving the center correct and thus heads will be the right shape. The bars on the side of a regular TV image will not damage the tv for a long long time as long as the contrast and brightness are lower than the factory settings which are way too high. By the time it could burn it in most TV should be widescreen and there will be no need for bars. The previous poster who said hes be OK for 1 and 1/2 years with black bars is living proof of that. You will be good for a very long time even if you choose to have the side-bars. Widescreen is definitely the right choice especially for DVD, and HDTV, but is also good for regular TV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wide screen you will not be sorry.:D :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to put my vote in on widescreen as well. I just picked up a Toshiba 42H81 and absolutely love it. The TheaterWide mode 1 does a pretty good job of stretching. Widescreen movies are the best.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Count me in favor of widescreen!

I bought a 4:3 set a few months ago and I really regret it. I had no idea how much 16:9 material I would be watching. With so much HDTV content now available and anamorphic DVD's, there's more to watch than I have time for.

Which would you rather have: 16:9 higher resolution material in a smaller window or the 4:3 lower resolution material in a smaller window (or stretched, etc.)? I think most would agree to wanting to see every bit of the higher resolution stuff as big as possible. This is the source of my regret.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Burn-in can and does happen, so those Contrast and brightness settings absolutely must be lowered to levels that are at least half the factory settings. Use Avia or Video Essentials to set them. Or, if you do not have acces to those DVD's, use theTHX Optimode from any number of THX certified DVD's out now.

The Contrast on my Panasonic 47" 16X9 HDTV is at 25%. It was defaulted to 100%. :eek:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have the 4x3 Sony 61HS30 HDTV. Since most of my viewing is regular/digital channels on TWC, I have a very nice 61 inch picture. For the HDTV shows, I have a 57" 16x9 picture which is great. The best of both worlds works for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.