AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mitsubishi WD-65C9 DLP TV.
It began accumulating tiny black dots of equal size down the center of the screen, a few months ago.......As time passes, the density is increasing because of more and more dots.
My 1st guess would be dead pixels?....But I am not a TV tech.
Does this sound or look familiar to anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a Mitsubishi WD-65C9 DLP TV.
It began accumulating tiny black dots of equal size down the center of the screen, a few months ago.......As time passes, the density is increasing because of more and more dots.
My 1st guess would be dead pixels?....But I am not a TV tech.
Does this sound or look familiar to anyone?
I was reading somewhere where someone with a similar problem got relief by replacing the DLP chip....could this be the fix?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Black Dots

I would call Mitsubishi and see if they will give you either a new optical engine, or a new DMD chip. If they agree, they will most likely give you the DMD chip. Or, they may give you the chip at a reasonable price. You can also call some competent Mitsubishi repair service and ask them about doing a replacement of the DMD. Failure of the DMD chip is not only the likely cause of your problem, it is a common problem with consumer grade DLP.

Basically what is likely to have happened with your TV is that an increasing number of the tiny micro-mirrors that make up the DMD chip have become frozen, either because of heat or because of the buildup of electrical charges. These micro-mirrors are constantly moving during normal operation, reflecting the projected light onto the mirror and onto the screen. Black dots are caused when the mirrors are frozen in position in such a way that the light path is completely cut off... hence black.

There are many hands-on people that have replaced the DMD chips at the heart of the optical engine by themselves. If you're not a techie I would have a competent repair person do it for you. The one problem that can occur with do-it-yourselfers is that the DMD chip is installed in such a way that it is not properly aligned.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Mitsubishi will make this right. 800 332-2119

The DMD chip is normally rated for 200,000 hours, but this problem is a manufacturing defect common to a certain batch/model of the DMD chips (made by Texas Instruments). My local theater even had the same problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts