AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please clarify what is meant by "wideband component-video inputs"? One of the complaints about the Sony KP-65XBR10W is that it has only one. Thereby implying I can't connect a progressive scan DVD and an HD signal in simultaneously. Yet when I look at the inputs on the set, it appears to have two sets of component input. Thanks.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
The wideband component input (usually Video 5) on Sony TV's will allow you to display any type of component video, of which there are three possibilities.

Standard component video is available from some DVD players. It does have better performance than S-Video, but not by a large margin. It is 480i resolution.

Progressive scan video is also available from some DVD players and from some DTV set-top-boxes. For DVD it is a very good improvement over standard component video. For DTV it can vary, but at it's best it is also a very good improvement. It is 480p resolution.

Wideband, or hi-scan component video is available from HDTV sources, like HDTV set-top-boxes, or DVHS HDTV VCR's. It is a huge jump in video performance, resolution can be either 720p or 1080i.

The second component video input (usually Video 4) on Sony TV's will only accept the standard component video mentioned above.

There are a number of ways around this, using an external switcher of some sort will solve the problem.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Uh, one correction. The Sony TV's with wideband component video input will only accept 1080i, not 720p. This is where the set-top-box comes in, you will need to choose one that converts 720p to 1080i, as most, if not all will do.

------------------

tm

·
Registered
119 Posts
So, just to make sure I got it, if you have this Sony TV (I may buy it shortly), you *cannot* have a HDTV/STB feed AND and progressive scan at the same time? You *must* have an external switcher to do so.

Also, does the princeton line doubler do wideband switching?

cheers,

·
Registered
45,618 Posts
bsaitz,

As to the Sony, you got it.

Additional Info: I have read Sony is soon to introduce new full-blown HDTV’s, which will have two Hi-Scan component video inputs. You may want to check into this. http://www.twice.com/html/pagebeta.cfm?InputKey=3284

As to the Princeton, I don't know. I would suggest asking your question in the AVS Video Processors Forum, http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=to pics&forum=Video+Processors&number=23&DaysPrune=2&LastLogin=

Or you could try the Princeton web site, http://www.prgr.com/Products/ProductsF.html

Good Luck.

------------------

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Dan,

Sony's press releases claim that all of the new HD ready RPTV's will have 2 component inputs capable of 480p or 1080i. This applies to the new HS30 series as well as all the XBR's. As Ken says, the current video 4 on these sets is only capable of 480i.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
119 Posts
dave,

component video doesn't mean wideband... sorry.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bsaitz:
dave,

component video doesn't mean wideband... sorry.
I understand that. Maybe I wasn't very clear with my post. I used the actual formats (480i, 480p, 1080i) that were supported by the inputs, not the word "wideband".

I was suggesting that Dan wait for the new line of Sonys to come out because they will have 2 "wideband" component inputs. The current sets only have one (video 5) that will support 480p and 1080i. The other component input (video 4) only does 480i.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
119 Posts
speaking of which, if an a/v receiver has multiple component inputs, can it switch wideband (HDTV/Progressive DVD) sources? or will there be problems/degredation?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bsaitz:
speaking of which, if an a/v receiver has multiple component inputs, can it switch wideband (HDTV/Progressive DVD) sources? or will there be problems/degradation?

thanks,
bsaitz,

The answer is yes. I have both my progressive DVD and HD STB going through the switched components on my Denon 3801. I can not see a difference on either compared to connecting directly to the RPTV. That's just on the 3801, the 5800 has even better bandwidth on the components.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
119 Posts
thanks dave - i was planning on getting the 3801, so that's perfect!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.