AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get a wide screen format DVD, if the aspect ratio is around 1.8:1, it fits the screen of my plasma television nicely. If the ratio is a little off from 1.8:1, sometimes I can use the zoom feature on the TV to fill the screen. However, if the format of the DVD is something like 2.4:1, the zoom function still leaves the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Are there any other ways to fill the whole screen in cases like this? I'm not particularly tech savvy with the TV/DVD player, so I very well could be missing something. It's just annoying to me to watch a movie with the black bars showing.

Thanks.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
However, if the format of the DVD is something like 2.4:1, the zoom function still leaves the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Are there any other ways to fill the whole screen in cases like this?

Yes, if you have a sawzall you can cut the black bars out of your brain so it fist better.

OAR is a fairly unquestionable goal around here, filling the screen is a stupid desire that emasculates artistic intent. You don't watch pan-n-scanned DVDs do you? It's the same thing.

Quote:
It's just annoying to me to watch a movie with the black bars showing.

Then shell out 10 grand+ and get an automatic masking system for a high-end screen.

Movies have differnet aspect ratios. Any aspect ratio that doesn't match your screen will lead to bars vertically or horizontally of varying size depending on the AR. It's nothing new, and I do not understand how people still to this day think that buying a 16:9 display will make black bars go away forever.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts