AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get a wide screen format DVD, if the aspect ratio is around 1.8:1, it fits the screen of my plasma television nicely. If the ratio is a little off from 1.8:1, sometimes I can use the zoom feature on the TV to fill the screen. However, if the format of the DVD is something like 2.4:1, the zoom function still leaves the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Are there any other ways to fill the whole screen in cases like this? I'm not particularly tech savvy with the TV/DVD player, so I very well could be missing something. It's just annoying to me to watch a movie with the black bars showing.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
This CIH forum is about address in exactly that - ridding the black bars and projecting the image of films originally presented as CinemaScope the way they were meant to be seen. It can only be done for front projection and we use an anamorphic lens to do this...

Mark

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy /forum/post/13017321

When I get a wide screen format DVD, if the aspect ratio is around 1.8:1, it fits the screen of my plasma television nicely. If the ratio is a little off from 1.8:1, sometimes I can use the zoom feature on the TV to fill the screen. However, if the format of the DVD is something like 2.4:1, the zoom function still leaves the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Are there any other ways to fill the whole screen in cases like this? I'm not particularly tech savvy with the TV/DVD player, so I very well could be missing something. It's just annoying to me to watch a movie with the black bars showing.

Thanks

To me, its annoying to watch a movie with the sides cut off. But to each his own.

Most players/tvs have preset settings that only allow certain amounts of zoom, and not an incremental zoom, which is what you are looking for.

I have a media server with a zoom that allows me to zoom in incrementally until I fit the screen (but I am fitting to a 2.35:1 screen (also known as cinemascope).

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer /forum/post/13021215

To me, its annoying to watch a movie with the sides cut off. But to each his own.

LOL, I agree completely. I was in the store the other day and a mother and kids were picking out a movie. The kids grabbed one (widescreen) and the mom made them put it back claiming you weren't getting to see the whole movie, and grabbed the full screen version instead.
I am still amazed at the lack of knowledge on the subject of aspect ratio's.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Well you do not have that problem any more huh Art?

Nate

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Every time I think about fullscreen v. widescreen, I think of the following scene from Last of the Mohicans. This is simply a beautiful shot, which would be ruined if fullscreen (I tried to keep it constant height, but the picture below is actually a little smaller than it should be):

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/13022263

However, on my old 30" direct view some scope films were only 13" high !

Art

Wow since we know you like a big screen, you must have sit about 1' from the image.

·
Registered
290 Posts
But here's why people do it they can either fill their screen with the 'Fullscreen' version or have a small image with the original version:

That's why you go CIH projection (no lens required for us zoomers!) to get this:

And here's a ratio comparison picture for no particular reason:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Yeah, I knew someone would bring that up.

Cool aspect ratios.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyotule /forum/post/13050165

But here's why people do it they can either fill their screen with the 'Fullscreen' version or have a small image with the original version:

The term "full screen" is a bit misleading - see when I project 2.37:1 on my CIH system, only them is it full screen...

Mark

·
Registered
7,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/13051416

The term "full screen" is a bit misleading - see when I project 2.37:1 on my CIH system, only them is it full screen...

Mark

It's not misleading.It is full screen.You're just missing 50% of the movie
., but it fits the screen !

Unless you can wrap your head around the idea behind the 16:9 device in the PJ, explaining CIH gets very tricky. I've tryed to explain it when people come over to watch a movie.I simply say that it is a cinema scope display......confuses them even more....but they love it.

KG

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
There are some great videos about widescreen (and a nice history of it, including the origins of the anamorphic lens) in my sig.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/13057061

It's not misleading.It is full screen.You're just missing 50% of the movie
., but it fits the screen !

Unless you can wrap your head around the idea behind the 16:9 device in the PJ, explaining CIH gets very tricky. I've tryed to explain it when people come over to watch a movie.I simply say that it is a cinema scope display......confuses them even more....but they love it.

KG

But I am not missing 50% of the movie when projecting scope movie as 2.37:1...

When I demo, I start with full height 16:9 program so people don't think I am just chopping the top and bottom off later. I also explain that the aspect ratio is 1.78:1 on this 2.37:1 screen, hence why there are unused portions of screen at the sides.

whilst still in that mode, I start the Scope film and point out the fact that the black bars are visible to preserve the aspect ratio of the theatrical release, and that this occurs on all "conventional" wide screen displays.

Then I scale the image, and let them see that -

1. there are no longer black bars top and bottom and

2. that the geometry is now incorrect, but the image is now the full height of the screen.

The I move the lens in place, and have never got a negative response...

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts