AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RCA D52W15 widescreen HDTV, and a cyberhome progressive DVD player. The cyberhome can output in interlaced or progessive through the component outputs, and that is how I have it hooked up to the TV. When I have the dvd output an interlaced signal I can resize the picture(4:3, zoom 16:9, cinemera, 16:9), but when the DVD ouputs in progessive mode, it locks the picture at 16:9 and I can't resize it. The problem I have is that when in progessive mode, the 16:9 is stretched a little bit too much, and everyone looks a little wide. When I set it up to interlaced mode, I can zoom in and it looks fine. I have tried multiple widescreen DVDs, and they all have the same problem. I assume I need to get a DVD player where I can resize progressive output picture size? Anyone know if that's available, and if so, what that feature is called?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Your set may lock you out of stretch modes when displaying a 480p signal. It's probably a set-up error in the DVD player. Go to the set-up screen in the DVD player and make sure that on Display type or screen size you have selected Wide screen (16:9) and not Pan and Scan(4:3). That should solve your problem. Component cables is the correct way to hook it up as s-video and composite cables (yellow) won't send 480p. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Do not feel stupid. This is perhaps one of the 2 most common problems reported by new widescreen tv owners, you've got plenty of company.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got my widescreen 10 days ago, and I certainly had no idea. Thanks for the advice. This has got to be one of the best web sites on the internet. I've learned so much over the last month. Thank you to everyone on this forum, from the newbies to the senior members.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem as well. It was getting annoying, until I went into the setup screen on my DVD player and saw it was set for a 4:3 television. Switched that to 16:9 and the picture is no longer stretched horizontally. Looks awesome now!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been reading the forum for a few days now, and using the search feature, extensively.

I came across this thread while trying to solve a problem that I've ran into. So this thread is of interest too me.

First my hardware.

1. Toshiba 50HDX82 16:9 Wide-screen TV

2. Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

3. Pioneer DVR-220

4. JVC RX-6008VBK A/V

5. 811 Dish Receiver.

Prior to setting up my 811 Dish receiver just a few days ago, I thought that all of my other hardware was connected correctly. Seems it's not, or I have a hardware problem.

I have my DVD player connected to my TV using component cables. Cables is connected to the Color-Stream HD 2 input side of the TV.

Just for reference, the 811 receiver is connected to the TV using a DVI cable.

The DVD is set for 16:9.

Now, the TV has 4 different picture modes. Natural (16:9), Theater Wide 1, Theater Wide 2, Theater Wide 3, and Full.

Now here is the problem. When I have my TV set to Natural (16:9) and then try and watch a wide-screen DVD, I have the bars on the side of the picture like 4:3 format.

Is this a hardware problem, or an idiot problem?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If the disc is truly widescreen, then one would think there would be bars all the way around the picture, like a picture frame, if the set was displaying it as a 4:3 image. Make double sure that the DVD players' setting in the set-up menu is set to 16:9 or widescreen and not 4:3. Also on many discs, both formats 4:3 and 16:9 are on the same disc. You have to choose one or the other. If you don't choose, the default might be 4:3 thus giving you the bars only on the sides of the picture. If you just hit play without choosing size of course.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
OOPS! also some discs have both formats but on opposite sides of the disc.

Check that out as well. If none of this works, what happens when you employ a different stretch mode?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ghostwalker, I have a Toshiba television as well. You need to set it to Full when watching an anamorphic DVD (most are anamorphic), they are meant to be stretched. You'll want to set your television to Theater Wide 2 when watching a DVD that is not anamorphic. This will Zoom the picture in.

I prefer Theater Wide 1 for 4:3 material. It stretches the edges more than the middle for less apparent distortion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The DVD is: "The Day after Tomorrow." DVD player set to 16.9. TV set to 16.9.

Using Theater Wide 1, there is black bars above and below, with picture the full width of the TV screen.

I see no menu in the DVD that switch's formats, nor is the opposite of the disk playable.

The DVD according to it's protective cover is and says Wide screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by malomead
Ghostwalker, I have a Toshiba television as well. You need to set it to Full when watching an anamorphic DVD (most are anamorphic), they are meant to be stretched. You'll want to set your television to Theater Wide 2 when watching a DVD that is not anamorphic. This will Zoom the picture in.

I prefer Theater Wide 1 for 4:3 material. It stretches the edges more than the middle for less apparent distortion.
Well the back cover of the DVD does say "anamorphic" Widescreen 2:35:1.

Now I really would like to know what all that means....if you have the time.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The problem is with the DVD player. If you can't find the selection for TV set-up to be able to switch from 16:9 or 4:3 then it's a pretty safe bet that your player is sending out a 4:3 image. That's why when you are playing in Natural mode on your set it is showing exactly what is being sent to your set(4:3). I'm not sure how old that player is , but i had a first generation Toshiba player that i'm pretty sure had a screen size selection in it. By the way, i also own a 46H83 Toshiba and have that disc as well and no problems. There almost has to be a sub-menu or something in set-up on that player somewhere to change the screen size to output a signal for a widescreen set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
According to the Toshiba FAQ's. The following was found.

Quote:
Don't be alarmed, it means that you are fortunate enough to view the movie in TheaterwideŽ mode, a 16:9 Aspect Ratio, as the video was originally intended for movie theaters. Many DVD discs provide the 16:9 Aspect Ratio (TheaterwideŽ) on one side of the disc, and 4:3 Aspect Ratio (Square Tube) on the reverse side of the disc. To achieve the TheaterwideŽ view, the top and bottom of the television screen are not used, and therefore appear as black stripes. If this is not the desired method of viewing the movie, try turning the disc over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
You just need to set your TV's picture mode to Full.
I did that as a previous posted suggested prior to posting on the board here. Yet, I had the understanding (incorrectly perhaps) that method really wasn't true 16:9 format. It did stretch the picture and had only minimal bars above and below the screens.

It would seem that this method is correct according to the Toshiba website. I'm still going to call Toshiba tomorrow and ask why this is so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
This link should answer all your questions about anamorphic DVDs and why you need to stretch the picture when watching one:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/

the bottom right picture on this page shows you what a 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD looks like when properly stretched by your television:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ic235demo.html
There she blows...those links did it. Now I know.

Thanks, and thanks to all for taking the time to help out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.