AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Sony WEGA 42" LCD and a progressive scan DVD player. When I play widescreen DVD's on my tv I still get black bars at top and bottom of TV. If the DVD is widescreen and the TV is also why doesnt it automatically fill up the whole screen? I have to use zoom to get rid of the bars. I thought I read that this is because the DVD's were recorded in "super"wide, is this true?

Also I watch standard TV in sidebar mode because I would rather see the smaller picture than the bloated stretched out picture but sometimes a commercial will come on and it will add black bars to both top and bottom, left and right so I have like a mini widescreen picture in the middle of my screen. Why do broadcasters do this?

Also the DVD player is set to 16:9

·
23,039 Posts
Here ya go - You can read up on all the different aspect ratios that movies have used. DVDs usually preserve the movie's aspect ratio. Any movie that has a ratio great than 1.78:1 should have black bars on top and bottom of a 16x9 (1.78:1) TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

larry

PS: I'm locking this thread because this topic comes up so many times and a with a quick search you'll easily find other threads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.