1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a RCA Scenium 65" TV. If I read the manual correctly, an

signal to the component input(ie progressive DVD player) is automatically

displayed in 16:9 format and cannot be changed. Therefore my choice is to leave

it like this or use the S-video input, which apparently can be changed ???

Looking thru my DVD's, there are four formats:

1) 4:3; pretty self expanatory

2) 16:9; no problem here(this is the same as 1.77:1)

3) 2.35:1 ; what will the TV display using component input?

4) 1.85:1 ; what will the TV display using component input?

Note that neither #3 nor #4 match the std 16:9 format. This is what is

confusing me; is their really three different widescreen formats, and all three

will fill the screen differently?

Thanks in advance/Kevin

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There are much more then 3 different widescreen formats. Off the top of my head you can add 1.66:1, 2.10:1, 2.20:1, 2.75:1 to name a few others.

With a widescreen TV anything wider then 1.85:1 (overscan hides the minut bars on 1.85:1) will give you bars on the top and bottom of the screen (much smaller then on 4x3 TV though) If the DVD is enhanced for widescreen TV's the correct aspect ratio will be displayed and no zooming is needed. If the DVD is NOT enhanced for Widescreen TV's then you must take the DVD player out of Progressive mode and into Interlaced mode to then be able to use your HDTV's zoom modes to achieve the correct aspect ratio (note some of the newer HDTV's don't lock into full mode but it sounds as though the RCA does). That HDTV is like most that when fed a Progressive signal it lock into full mode and you can't change it. There are a few new DVD players (like the Panasonic RP91 which I own) that rectify this by automatically scaling a non-enhanced DVD into the correct aspect ratio and display it correctly for you while your TV is in Full mode. These DVD players will do a better job of scaling a non-enhanced DVD then the zoom functions of the HDTV's that don't lock into full mode do

Just to clarify that a widescreen TV does not mean you will have no black bars! If you were informed differently you were informed incorrectly!

Also I would highly suggest you look at other manufacturers for in the bigger HDTV range you are looking at! RCA has VERY bad rep for their HDTV's and is not in the same league as the Pioneer, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Philips Hitachi's.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
475 Posts
Along the same vein, I've got a Mits 55907 which has five viewing modes:
  • Standard - Used for DVDs since the DVD player is set to "Widescreen"
  • Expand - I don't use it
  • Zoom - I don't use it
  • Stretched - This is what I use for DBS, it stretches the sides more than the center
  • Narrow - Gray vertical bars

The manual says that the modes aren't available when displaying 1080i signals, which makes sense.

I've got an E* 6000 coming today and was wondering how people usually hook things up. I'm thinking about only using the DTV input for when I watch HD shows (CBS, OTA) and then switching back to the S-Video connection for normal viewing.

The reason I'm thinking about this is that the 6000 doesn't have something like a "Stretched" mode (though it has one that's called "Stretch") from what I could find in the manual, and I really wasn't fond of the selections that it offered for viewing 4:3 shows.

Will I sacrifice quality by doing this? Hope my question makes sense. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Roddie

[This message has been edited by roddie (edited 09-25-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.