AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum. I just bought a new Sony KDL-52W3000 and I came across a problem. I've used my upconverting DVD player (Phillips DVP5982 connected via HDMI) on the Sharp Aquos 52" before and it would display the right DVDs on the whole screen. The DVD player display settings is set to output at 16:9. but when I watch it on my new sony, it would show it scrunched up as 4:3 when I'm watching on "Normal" settings. I would have to watch it in "Full" mode to make it look more normal, but none of my DVD's would fill up the whole screen anymore. All the widescreens movies will still have the black bars on top and bottom, but some aren't supposed to be that way.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Are all DVDs displaying black bars on the right and left sides? If so, you have an issue. If it's just top and bottom bars that are an issue, I definitely think it's normal, as a lot of widescreen movies are still going to have black bars, since they use an 'extended' widescreen.

Or maybe I'm just reading your post wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when the tv being normal mode, and with the dvd player outputting at 16:9, it would have black bars on the sides and the top and bottom. I'm sure that's a problem. if i switch the dvd player to 4:3, it would still have the same bars on the side but the aspect ratio for the movie would be correct. and as for my old tv, i know that i put it in normal mode, and not zooming. and no, it wouldn't just be the title, i've tried several different DVDs.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freevies180 /forum/post/12939733

when the tv being normal mode, and with the dvd player outputting at 16:9, it would have black bars on the sides and the top and bottom. I'm sure that's a problem. if i switch the dvd player to 4:3, it would still have the same bars on the side but the aspect ratio for the movie would be correct. and as for my old tv, i know that i put it in normal mode, and not zooming. and no, it wouldn't just be the title, i've tried several different DVDs.

Normal mode on the Sony is kind of a misnomer. It is only "normal" for 4:3 material. Look in the manual...

Normal squishes the image to a 4:3 box with bars on the side. This is the correct setting for 4:3 SD material.

When the player is set to 16:9 and the TV is set to Full, if the movie on your disc is wider than 16:9 (any of the Star Wars movies are a good example), you'll still get black bars on the top and bottom. This would explain why you get bars on top, bottom, and sides when the DVD player is in 16:9 mode and the TV is in normal mode (you are adding extra side bars by squishing it). If you set the TV to full (which is the correct setting whenever viewing HD or when the DVD player is set to 16:9), you may still see bars on the top and bottom but the aspect ratio will be correct (i.e. a circle in the movie will look like a circle rather than an elipse) and there won't be bars on the side.

The reason the aspect ratio is correct when the DVD is set to 4:3 and the TV is set to Normal is because the Normal setting emulates a regular 4:3 TV.

So, in summary, when viewing DVDs, set the TV to "Full" mode and the DVD player to 16:9 mode. Also, you will probably want to set the "Display Area" setting in the Screen menu to +1 or Full Pixel (whichever is available) because this will prevent the TV from cropping off the top, bottom and sides of the picture to emulate the overscan on normal tube TVs.

There is also a setting on the DVD player that controls how 4:3 content is displayed when the player is set to 16:9 mode. Basically, every DVD disc has a setting on it which tells the player if the content is 4:3 (for older TV shows and movies) or 16:9 (most, if not all, movie DVDs and newer TV shows as well). When you have configured the player for 16:9 mode but the disc tells the player that the content is 4:3, the player can do one of 2 things: 1.) stretch the 4:3 image to take up the full 16:9 (ths makes circles into elipses), or 2.) insert black bars on the sides to make the aspect ratio correct. I don't recall exactly where this setting is on the DVD player but it is somewhere in the configuration menus. Look in the manual. I'd recommend setting the DVD player to insert black bars on the sides for 4:3 content. This way, you just leave you TV in Full mode all the time when viewing DVDs and the player will do the right thing depending on the disc. The alternative is to have the player stretch the 4:3 (no bars on the side) and then set the TV to "Normal" mode to squish it back to the correct aspect ratio.

Finally, assuming you have set everything up as I have recommended, if you have a DVD which is formatted for 4:3 but the movie is actually widescreen (i.e. the disc itself has inserted letterbox black bars on the top and bottom), you will have bars on the top, bottom, and sides if you have set things up as I have recommended. I don"t know specifically of any discs like this, but they tend to be older (released before 16:9 TVs were common). If you come across such a disc, just set the TV to "Zoom" mode. Assuming that you have also set "Display Area" to full pixel or +1, this will Zoom in exactly to cut off the black bars without cutting off any of the picture.

Hope this helps.

Btw, you should only expect to see NO black bars when the movie aspect ration is 1.78:1. It usually says so on the back of the case. If the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, you'll still see bars on the top and bottom even in 16:9 mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts