AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell if a show on UPN, WB or Fox is available OTA in widescreen? I use titantv for HD info, but what other resources can help with this?

thanks,

jeff

·
Registered
251 Posts
If programming is broadcast in HD it is widescreen. HD means 16:9 and either 720 or 1080 lines of resolution.

Fox does not broadcast any HD so you never know what they are doing.

The broadcast their embarrassing Enhanced Definition TV which is no more than Standard Definition television anyway

So if titan says HD its wide

You might also try http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html

Ever wonder why TV guide listings never mention it? (Its really a secret to be kept from the general public.)

·
Registered
750 Posts
The HDTV Schedule at AtlantaDTV identifies Fox widescreen (480p) programming as "enhanced definition". The schedule also identifies HDTV (1080i or 720p widescreen) as such. To my knowledge, nothing on WB is widescreen yet and UPN has widescreen HDTV content on a special/infrequent basis. There have been threads here regarding the UPN HDTV content, so do a search on "UPN" and "HDTV" to find them.

As soon as WB (or any other network, for that matter) has regular HDTV content, we'll add them to the AtlantaDTV.org schedule. The purpose of the schedule is twofold: a reference for those of us who are believers in HDTV; and an advertisement of how much HDTV/widescreen content there is for potential HDTV adopters. This ties in with the rest of the AtlantaDTV.org mission, which is to promote HDTV and grow the ranks/power of the HDTV community (especially in Atlanta).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmichael
If programming is broadcast in HD it is widescreen. HD means 16:9 and either 720 or 1080 lines of resolution.

Unfortunately this often means that the upconvert the 4:3 transmission and either add black bars on the sides to fill out the picture, else they zoom the image (cropping off the top and bottom) to nearly fill the 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does this mean that ALL HD content from HBO-HD and HDNET is 16:9 ?

That I should sell my 4:3 projector and buy a 16:9 projector ?

Alex

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ahagen
Does this mean that ALL HD content from HBO-HD and HDNET is 16:9 ?

That I should sell my 4:3 projector and buy a 16:9 projector ?

Alex
A1: Its all 16:9, yep. Including a bunch of 16:9 programming on HBO that has black borders on either side of a 4:3 image to fill out the whole picture.

A2: Your X80U projector, according to http://www.mitsubishi-projector.com/...tra/x80_s.html has a display resolution of 1024*768. If you attempt to display a 16:9 widescreen image on that display by adding black bars to the top and bottom of the display, then you only use 768*3/4 = 576 of those scan lines to display information. If I was designing the circuitry, I would build the thing so that if a 1080i signal was input, it would only fill the center 540 lines, at least that way you avoid aliasing artifacts. What does your display actually do?

Thinking further, if I was designing the thing and had to confront the inherent limitations of the display chip which put such a nasty limit on maximum resolution, I'd be tempted to mount a vibrating mirror in the box and modulate it with vertical sync in such a way that alternate fields could be drawn with appropriate interlace. I would of course patent this idea for doubling the viewable resolution of these types of displays.

You are on your own to determine just how your existing display maps the various scan resolutions and as to whether or not mounting your projector on an appropriate shaker table will improve your situation. I'll bet the warranty doesnt cover this. You can try it, and when it fries -- tell the extensive warranty people that you want them to exchange it for a 16:9 unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.