AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got done reading Widescreen Review's of the Meridian Audio 568.2 and wow....

here are some excerpts;

"In the case of the 568.2, my expectations were easily surpassed. As a DAC for CDs, I found that the 568.2's performance exceeded both the Krell HTS-7.1 and the Prepetual technologies P-1a/P-3a combination"

"configuration of the 568.2 can charitably be describe as 'challenging' when using the front-panel controls an dthe on-screen display. While not impossible, it is difficult, even for those of us who are well-versed in surround processor setup"

looks like you better have the dealer do it.... :)

"when I say that the 568.2 betters the competition, I am referring to just the basics, including CD playback and decoding of Dolby Digital, DTS digital Surround, and Dolby Pro Logic II. When you add in the superb DSP algorithms such as Trifield and Ambisonics, and then add the MHR Smart Link in good measure, you have a processor that helps to define state-of-the-art performance in the sub-$10000 price category"

I would loved to have seen a head to head comparison with the Lexicon MC-12 but oh well..

Although having read his review of the MC-12 I can say that it was positive but not as positive as the Meridian.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
HIB,

Different people reviewed the MC-12B and the Meridian 568.2. Perry did the review of the MC-12B, and I did the Meridian. The concept of a "head to head" review is a good one, but in practice it doesn't happen too often, since these products are received on loan and companies usually want their products back as soon after you review them as possible.

I was fortunate enough to do a head to head comparison of the Krell and the Meridian processors as their time in my system overlapped, and no, you can't have my address :D

As far as dealer setup is concerned, the PC Software makes it much easier (as I said in the article) but expecting your dealer to help set it up, given the price tag is not an unreasonable expectation.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I configured th 568.2 myself using a PC -- I don't see dealer setup as essential. I had both the MC12B and 568.2 in my room at the same time and much preferred the sound of the 568.2 for music, and in less extensive listening, considered HT performance a draw.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
rblnr,

Read the review before you make the commentary. The problem is that a portion of the review was left out where I said something along the lines of technically astute users can probably use the PC software, which was what I did.

Excerpts can (and sometimes are) taken out of context.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
"looks like you better have the dealer do it.... "

I was responding to the above comment w/my own experience, independent of the details of your review.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi John,

sorry about the mixup I should have checked the names.

I have a couple of questions, would you please answer them :)

What do you think of M&K S150P speakers (music and HT)?

Will Widescreen Review ever do a Projector shootout featuring the new HD2 chip? (There is enormous interest in that right now)

Based on your experience and personal prefrence which one would you go for, 568.2 or MC12? could you elaborate on why?Are you a fan of Logic 7?

I would love to know and your opinion would mean a lot.

Thank you in advance :)

PS anyone else who had experience using both of these please chime in too :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
HIB,

It's okay about the mixup on the names, I just wanted to set the record straight.

You've asked a bunch of questions that I can't answer for you.....

1) M&K S150P -- I've only heard the 150s in a context (and room) where I was not familiar. My impressions weren't favorable, but given all of the unknowns the only meaningful thing to glom from this is that it was unfamiliar surroundings.

2) HD-2 Project shootout -- That's up Greg Rogers' alley, I have enough trouble keeping up with the audio stuff that Perry and Gary have requested come to me. I can't answer this question for you.

3) I haven't heard L-7 or the MC-12B, so I can't comment on it. However, haven't spent considerable time with the 568.2 and 598DP, there is no way I would trade digital out for DVD-Audio, which I'd have to do for the Lexicon setup.

Regards,

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had the 568.2MM and 598DP combo for roughly 2 weeks, so I'll share my thoughts: :)

1. the 568.2 is a great processor. very clean, detailed sound, that's hard to find.

2. however, it was only marginally better (if at all) than my $4500 EAD Ovation.

3. The true plus is the Trifield, beats hands off any dsp mode I've heard to date, incl. Circle Surround, and older L7. (I'm not even going to talk about DLP-II)

4. The 2 distinct cons are lack of support for dts-es discrete (I'm sure Stacey Spears will disagree :D ) and lack of 5.1 analog inputs.

I think that, If bells and whistles aren't important, nor are dsp modes, then the best sound quality for the buck would be the EAD imho.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Roman,

Stacey doesn't have to disagree, I do :D

How many titles are encoded in DTS-ES discrete? 100?

Most people, even those with the financial wherewithal to afford this setup have a tough enough time finding space for 5 main speakers + subwoofer, let alone adding a 6th (and 7th) main speaker.

To each their own however!

Regards,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you need 7 main speakers for dts ES?

Wow!!!

What are 5.1 analog inputs good for?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
HIB,

You need either 6 or 7 main speakers plus subwoofer for DTS-ES or Dolby/THX EX.

A 5.1 analog input is fine for DVD-A and SACD multi-channel formats as they are both limited to 5.1 for now.

Regards,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so you cant input a dvd-a into the meridian?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HIB
Hi John,

Will Widescreen Review ever do a Projector shootout featuring the new HD2 chip? (There is enormous interest in that right now)
In the past few months I've reviewed the InFocus 7200 and the Sharp XV-Z10000. Bill Cushman reviewed the Sim2 HT300 Plus. Just today I finished a Yamaha DPX-1000 review (that will appear in the next issue mid-May). These are all comprehensive reviews of HD2 front projectors. That seems like a pretty good HD2 shootout to me!

(In addition, in the last 8 months Bill and I also reviewed the Digital Projection 3-chip DLP projector, Plus HE-3200 DLP, NEC HT1000 DLP, Sony VPL-HS10 LCD, and Yamaha LPX-500 LCD projector. )

Greg Rogers

Widescreen Review

AccuPel

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches
Roman,

Most people, even those with the financial wherewithal to afford this setup have a tough enough time finding space for 5 main speakers + subwoofer, let alone adding a 6th (and 7th) main speaker.

Regards,
John, I disagree. Anyone who can afford (new) the Meridian setup should certainly be able to build a audio room for the speakers. However, I agree with you about the futility of DTS-ES as a format. DTS will never be a major player IMO and should have been left out of the DVD standards. The only reason it has any life at all is because of the influence of Steven Spielberg and his cohorts. The audio business is cutting its own throat by confusing the public with too many formats and promises it can't, or won't, keep. They need to settle on a single high resolution standard and stick with it. That alone would help stimulate the business, and since SACD does not do video then DVD-A should, and I suspect will, prevail in the end.

Dsmith

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gregr
In the past few months I've reviewed the InFocus 7200 and the Sharp XV-Z10000. Bill Cushman reviewed the Sim2 HT300 Plus. Just today I finished a Yamaha DPX-1000 review (that will appear in the next issue mid-May). These are all comprehensive reviews of HD2 front projectors. That seems like a pretty good HD2 shootout to me!

(In addition, in the last 8 months Bill and I also reviewed the Digital Projection 3-chip DLP projector, Plus HE-3200 DLP, NEC HT1000 DLP, Sony VPL-HS10 LCD, and Yamaha LPX-500 LCD projector. )

Greg Rogers

Widescreen Review

AccuPel

so out of all the HD2 single chip projectors which one would you recommend as the best?

how about the marantz and Dwin?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HIB
so out of all the HD2 single chip projectors which one would you recommend as the best?

how about the marantz and Dwin?
I wouldn't know what you want from a projector or what effort you would like to invest to get it. My reviews are quite comprehensive. I suspect you can match your needs with the information in the reviews and find the best fit.

I would be pleased to review the Marantz and Dwin projectors.

Greg

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
dsmith said several things:

Quote:
John, I disagree. Anyone who can afford (new) the Meridian setup should certainly be able to build a audio room for the speakers.
Without custom building a new home, this isn't a practical matter. I have space issues with a 21'x12' room to get a 5.1 setup in along with FP and the other requirements. There's no way I can get a 6.1 or 7.1 setup with the room available in the current house.

Of course, I suppose I could consider pursuing a new construction home... with what this house has, I can start looking at 2x this home's price. Not a practical solution IMO.

What I'm trying to say is don't generalize :)

Quote:
However, I agree with you about the futility of DTS-ES as a format. DTS will never be a major player IMO and should have been left out of the DVD standards.
I disagree. I think competition is healthy, and that DTS will always be around. This means DD and SDDS have to be better products and the last I checked these were all good things.

Quote:
The only reason it has any life at all is because of the influence of Steven Spielberg and his cohorts. The audio business is cutting its own throat by confusing the public with too many formats and promises it can't, or won't, keep.
I don't see the confusion, since just about every receiver on the market and every DVD-V player work with DTS these days. It's been since early 1999 since I've seen a processor without a DTS decoder.

Quote:
They need to settle on a single high resolution standard and stick with it. That alone would help stimulate the business, and since SACD does not do video then DVD-A should, and I suspect will, prevail in the end.
My High-Res preference is for DVD-A, so I won't argue with you on that. However, it remains to be seen what will happen long term with these formats.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches
Roman,

Regards,
Now you have me confused a little. I thought that the main advantage to the new 568.2 vs the original 568 was mainly in having the compute horsepower to handle a 7.1 setup vs only 5.1 for the 568. Is your point that Trifield is so superior that even in 5.1 it beats all other formats? Or am I missing something. I did notice that you did no comparison remarks of the 568.2 vs the original 568 or even vs the 861.

You do mention that you are confident that the 861 is superior but don't say a word about the areas of superior sonics.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One thing that I got from John Kotches review was that he really enjoyed trifield (I got the review in front of me). Infact he enjoyed it more than any other method (DPL,DPL2,DTS Neo:6).

And since John is here in person we can ask him to elaborate on just good it really was. :)

John I have a question:

How well suited is the 568.2 for movies and general HT use?

Obviously it is a great processor and could have the edge in music over the Lexicon Mc12 or mc 8 but i would love to know how well it stacks up as far as movies go.

I know John hasn't had much experience with the MC 12, but maybe someone else out there who has coud help us out with that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.