AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the latest issue (October 2003, it seems I miss September?).

I'm learning on page 64 that the DMD we may (abusely) call XHD (2048x1080 DMD targeted for DLP Cinema) has 14µm mirrors size compared to the usual 17µm we have on the HD# DMDs.

So it seems the manufacturing process of XHD goes a bit further that the one for HD2+. We suppose the HD3 will benefit from this (rumors say it will be smaller ;) ). Why there has been an interim DMD HD2+? Why didn't TI directly launched the HD3 as the manufacturing seems ready?

The article concludes sadly with this:
Quote:
But don't expect full 1080-capable DLP projectors for the consumer anytime soon.

This new technology currently is only targeted for digital cinema products.
:(

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Because, they are acting like an automaker and need to come out annually with something, whether there are any leaps and bounds in technology or not. How else are they going to make you feel that the projector you bought 8-10 months ago needs to be replaced?

Which brings up a good point. If a Chevy (just an example, not picking on Chevy--I pick on all automakers) can get a 3-5 year loan while getting depreciated heavily upon driving it off the dealer lot, why can't we get similar financing for the masses to afford those more expensive projectors?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
sad news indeed, it confirms our fears that the 2048x1080 res would be exclusive to theaters.

lcos, lcd not being selected for cinemas, there are not concerned. yet, prices remain high.

2004 will be interesting anyway.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Which brings up a good point. If a Chevy (just an example, not picking on Chevy--I pick on all automakers) can get a 3-5 year loan while getting depreciated heavily upon driving it off the dealer lot, why can't we get similar financing for the masses to afford those more expensive projectors?
You can. It's called a credit card.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I can go get a car on a 60-month manufacturer's auto loan at 0% for 60 months and get a 36 month bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Using a credit card is a little different.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I had a poll recently about the xhd chip. The size of the mirror has not changed much in the last iterations. In my poll you can check out the link to a site talking about hd3 at 0.55 inches. The hd3 was mentioned inbetween 480p device in widescreen aspect ratio and the xhd. If this is so hd3 can be nothing but 1280x720. If that is the case TI has made the mirrors alot smeller , less than 10 micrometers. If this is a new process we could hope for xhd to go to the high end consumer market. I believe TI has to go to 4k with their cinama chips perhaps not for image quality but for political reasons. If other digital cinema alternatives can produce 4k projectors TI needs to follow. JVC has just announced a 4k chip. A canadian firm is about to release a camera with 4k resolution for digital cinema in 2004. This camera is being field tested right now!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:
I can go get a car on a 60-month manufacturer's auto loan at 0% for 60 months and get a 36 month bumper-to-bumper warranty.

in July i got an offer for a new card at 0% for 12 months.

that and the dust blobs i was dealing with were the reasons that drove the upgrade for me.

i had expected to keep my old pj at least another yr.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:

So? A projector isn't a car either.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardB
All the latest DMD chips have a pitch of about 14 µm. See this link for more details:
http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/dl...ip_details.asp
:confused: :confused:

My question was silly indeed. I feel like someone looking for his lenses when they are on his nose... :rolleyes:

Actually, data and HT DLP projectors move faster than Digital Cinema: 12° and 14µm came earlier.

Further, given the www.dlp.com , it seems all SXGA still uses 10° mirrors (but I don't trust DLP website which isn't updated very often).

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohlson
I had a poll recently about the xhd chip. The size of the mirror has not changed much in the last iterations. In my poll you can check out the link to a site talking about hd3 at 0.55 inches. The hd3 was mentioned inbetween 480p device in widescreen aspect ratio and the xhd. If this is so hd3 can be nothing but 1280x720. If that is the case TI has made the mirrors alot smeller , less than 10 micrometers. If this is a new process we could hope for xhd to go to the high end consumer market. I believe TI has to go to 4k with their cinema chips perhaps not for image quality but for political reasons. If other digital cinema alternatives can produce 4k projectors TI needs to follow. JVC has just announced a 4k chip. A canadian firm is about to release a camera with 4k resolution for digital cinema in 2004. This camera is being field tested right now!!
In fact, I think it was that earlier post about a 0.55" HD3 that confused me ;). If true, indeed we may see future DMD to have about 10µm mirrors (but what would be the benefit?).

About a 1920x1080 DMD for HT, it won't be there if LCD or LCOS/SRXD don't do it (successfully). TI never made the first step for high resolution.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree. TI won't release the top of the line chip until it feels a little pressure from some other technology, LCOS, dila, etc. I also don't think they want a 1080 DMD PJ competing with the 3 chip 720 pjs. Why release it when there's so much money to be made in the lower res chips.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Well as I see it xhd could be delivered to consumers in the beginning of 2005. The three chip machines has to go down in price below 20k$. The price can be justified with a high light output. If you really want a big screen you will have to pay for it. That way they could deliver both resolution and brightness. You will decide which of the two you want to pay for. If money is not a problem you could get both.

Pressure will come from both lcos and lcd. We could also hope that the laser rumor comes alive with full hd resolution. The digital cinema standard has been set from 2k-4k preliminary. I see full hd dmds for consumers in 2005. There might also be pressure from big plasma screens with full hd resolution. If TI indeed can make the mirrors so much smaller I am sure they can do it economically.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Quote:

The car will retain notably more value than the projector

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
If a CRT projector can retail in the $40K and easily sell to demanding applications, then there is no reason to hold back a HD DMD Chip...except for the fact that .. things are still improving on the contrast range front.

Holding off on the release of the higher rez chips, and combining that release with increases in CR, etc.. will likely net TI and associated manufacturers much more in the way of progressive sales.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.