1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summary...

"It has superb contrast and beautifully reproduces dark images."

Regarding HDTV...

"Resolution and image sharpness were noticeable better than even the best DVDs, but fell short of the stunning sharpness of fixed-pixel displays with twice as many pixels. It would be great if NEC released a similar projector that used the TI 1280 x 720 pixel, 16:9 aspect ratio, HD2 (Mustang) chip."

"I was surprised that on bright white images, the screen door effect of the very small lines between the pixels was visible from my viewing position about 17 feet from the screen."

My impression was for DVDs a big thumbs up and for HDTV thumbs down.

Update: the review is now online. Judge for yourself: http://www.widescreenreview.com/attractions/eqrev1.html

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Sounds like they didn't try an anamorphic lens as I'm pretty sure another magazine did. While I agree that an NEC HD2 would be great, I also know that a Panamorph is a big improvement to my eyes on an XGA DLP at 1.4x screen width away. For reference, the HT1000 with an anamorphic lens has about 15% less pixels than an HD2 for 16:9 and 2.35:1 material. Without the lens it is about 36% less pixels.

--Darin

·
Registered
247 Posts
I gotta ask, because I can't quite get it...but how do you add a Panamorph to a 16:9 HD signal? I mean, it's obvious that for DVD sources, you set the DVD to anamorphic and use the panamorph to squeeze the picture.

Would you be kind enough to explain how a HDTV source get's squeezed and then un-squeezed?

Reese

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles R
"I was surprised that on bright white images, the screen door effect of the very small lines between the pixels was visible from my viewing position about 17 feet from the screen."
Wow--13' from my screen on the TV3 I see zero screen door.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I don't have an HT1000 but on my LT150 there is an aspect ratio control menu. Normal gives you full screen on HDTV, Cinema mode gives you the squeezed version. You would use the anamorphic lens while the HDTV source was stretched in the normal mode and this would have the same effect as putting the projector in Cinema mode, except you would be using the full panel.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
That's odd...I never saw any screendoor at all at 1.5x viewing distance when I had my HT1000, even on bright material (like Avia test patterns).

I did find the HT1000 to have a very soft image, however.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReeseG
Would you be kind enough to explain how a HDTV source get's squeezed and then un-squeezed?
Reese,

This basically explains stretching vertically and then squeezing vertically. For a 4:3 projector that supports the Panamorph (like the HT1000 does), you basically set it to use all 1024x768 pixels for 16:9 material. So, everybody would be too tall without the lens. However, when you put the lens on it squeezes everybody back down to normal. This basically squeezes the pixels closer together (and smaller) in the vertical and makes it much less likely that you will see the individual pixels from your viewing position. For 2.35:1 material the idea is basically the same, but with most lenses you still just stretch 33% and don't end up using the full panel. There are some anamorphic lenses that go all the way from 4:3 to 2.35:1.

Even if a projector doesn't support this vertical stretching internally it can be done for DVDs through an HTPC and programs like TheaterTek and ZoomPlayer. This may preclude using the lens for material that doesn't go through an HTPC on projectors that don't support the stretching, unless you buy an expensive scaler.

Hope that helps.

--Darin

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxleung
I did find the HT1000 to have a very soft image, however.
Do any of you other HT1000 owners find this to be true? I just placed an order for an HT1000 so I'm concerned. My other choice was the Optoma H56 which had a very sharp picture, so I would hate to think I picked the wrong projector.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Don't worry about it buddy, it's just like comparing the Fujitsu/panasonic plamas with the Pioneers. Which would you want the smooth bright picture or the snappy high contrast picture. You'll be fine with the HT1000.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The image is fine using an HTPC so the softness if there must be from the conversions. What was the input for those who saw soft images?

I also have not seen the "screen door" effect at a distance of 1.5 screen width from an 80" screen. THe projector is behind us on a table behind the couch. I wonder if there are angle factors here for the effect?

I do see the pixels at less then 3 feet from the screen.

The projector has performed very well so far (275 hours).

Joel

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The HT1000 has many setup features. It takes time to know how to use them.

Sounds like the reviewer may have been a little inept.

He said one thing that's fact though.

"Resolution and image sharpness were noticeable better than even the best DVDs" and killer blacks, :)

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The HT1000 is noticeably soft feeding it a progressive or interlaced component signal from a Panasonic RP91. It is a little sharper with an HTPC and VGA (Geforce 4 Ti4400, TheaterTek, ffdshow). The NEC LT240 with the same HTPC is sharper.

Michael TLV and a projector technician at a local A/V shop both said the HT1000 looked "blurry" when projected onto a 106" 16x9 HCDM screen. However, the HT1000 was plugged into the processor used with the Runco DR300c (an LT150z clone). And there was an issue with cornerstone/keystone correction being turned on at the time. Once I corrected for that, it still looked soft.

My HT1000 did have a flaw in the lens assembly though...a dust blob got onto the inside of the lens, so that may have made it softer than it should have been.

The softness doesn't bother me. My sensitivity to rainbows and very slight DLP eyestrain/tension did though. :(

The HT1000 is excellent.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I must have a lucky model because soft doesn't come into the equasion.

http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dumble.jpg

Here's another point. All this talk about the extra pixels of 720 doesn't take into the point that each projector has it's own quality of image capabilities. It should be said not only extra pixels count but exactly how well does the projector produce an image. Like black/whites/colors etc

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have no opinion on the NEC, but posting a 640 x 480 image can't prove sharpness or softness of a projected image (unless you are talking about a projector resoltion of LESS than 640 x 480). There are just too many variables, including; resolution of DVD, resolution of PJ, camera sensor resolution, camera image resolution, camera image compression. It is nice eye candy but proves nothing about projector capabilities.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder if there are QC issues with the HT1000? A few posts on dead/stuck pixels, picture softness, and dust "blobs" on my unit. Also, my dealer mentioned that the rainbow effect I'm seeing may be because of a bad batch of HT1000s (I doubt it). Fan noise of course is a problem with all projectors, but what the heck, throw that in too. :)

Of course, the above are really rather minor. No lamp issues have been reported, so reliability seems very good!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.