AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Philips 32PW8707 to replace my RPTV after it failed. The service center didn't want to repair it since the tubes were under 70% emission after 10 years of use, and I can't afford a new RPTV right now.

However I noticed that even with RGB component, the colors bleed on this TV. I wondered what could be the case since RGB cannot bleed this way, and figured it was caused by the digital circuits. I put in a crosshatch pattern on only the red component and could see that colors bled 1/2" inch around some of the lines and a 1/4" around some others, periodically across the screen. Then I realized it was indeed caused by severe undersampling of color in the digital circuitry, as I'd suspected.

I checked the service schematic that came with it and followed the video path, then I downloaded datasheets for the components from Philips Semiconductor. They confirmed this; the TV set uses the cheap PROZONIC chipset for 100Hz upscan and that works with a color subsampling of 4:1:1 @ 16MHz sample rate. That's horrible, the best comparison I can think of is a RealPlayer stream. There's a total of only 208 color pixels to the entire width of the screen - talk about a ripoff :(

Add to that the set not having a comb filter, unlike what Philips stated in their spec sheet, and not having RGB input on both SCARTS unlike what's stated in the spec sheet and even the manual. The set is going back to the store. I'm in a panic since I'm at heart a videophile and I can't find an acceptable set anywhere around here. It's the PAL market you know, it was too good a system to begin with so now manufacturers are just playing around with things to fool inexperienced viewers.

Now I need to find another PAL standard TV set which has analog signal processing and can let an RGB signal through 'as is'. With the useless mega-stretch mode on all new widescreen sets I guess they are all digitized and I doubt any other manufacturer has much better color handling than Philips, except for sets I can't afford. If I must, I'll simply go with a regular 28" 4:3 TV that has vertical squeeze.

I also want to be able disable Scan Velocity Modulation (sorry for using those words here) via the service menu.

Any recommendations? Plain videophile sympathy is welcome too :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.