AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. i've just read the note above. I've read others too and they made complete sense, no problem. I've never had a wide screen tv before so i've not been able to see the differences with my own eyes until now.

So last night I put in the Blade 2 DVD which on the back says...

"Widescreen version: presented in a "letterboxed" widescreen format preserving the aspect ratio 2.35:1 of it's original theatrical exhibition."

Black bars, right?

No black bars. The picture filled the whole screen, it looked great but I was expecting the black bars. I cycled through all the aspect ratios on the tv but nothing. The DVD player is set to 16*9.

So after all the stuff i've read this puts me back to being confused again.

:confused:

Am I missing something?

· Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Two theories pop to mind.

1) You have a 2.35:1 tv

2) Your 16:9 set has hella overscan

Of course neither of these two options are plausible.

You said you cycled thru the aspect settings on your tv.

Does your DVD player too have it's own aspect ratio settings

independent of your tv? That's something worth checking.

You're right that you should be confused.

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

See sticky thread at top ...

· Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tbass2k
Blade 2's aspect ratio is mislabeled, it was filmed in a 1:85 aspect ratio. Your tv is fine.
That is exactly correct, Blade 2 is incorrectly labelled on the package. If you try another DVD that is actually filmed with a 2.35 aspect you will see some black bars.

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Sorry about that ...

Regards

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Far from losing it you bring up an excellent point. That is the confusing way , and sometimes outright incorrect way,so many dvds are labelled to indicate aspect ratio and anamorphic content. The dvd standards people need to get involved and spank some of these goofs at the studios for adding to the total confusion this causes. I stopped buying or renting non anamorphic, non widescreen titles some time ago and get very frustrated when browsing and trying to figure out the nonsense some studios put on labels...unforgivable really considering many places won't let you return an open dvd. Makes you wonder if any of these studio people own widescreens.

· Registered
3,372 Posts
I totally agree about the confusing packaging. How many times have you searched and searched all over the front and back of the DVD box trying to figure out the aspect information.

For video games, they have a rule that the icon for the rating be not only be the same for all games, but also that it must be in the same place. Wouldn't it be great if they would do that for technical infomation on DVD's.

· Registered
432 Posts
I ended up accidentally buying the 4:3 version of the 1st Harry Potter DVD when they first came out.

The shop had apparently sold out all the widescreen copies (which I later found out had "WIDESCREEN EDITION" in a nice big yellow banner at the top of the packaging) and all that were left were the fullscreen copies with no indication that they were fullscreen at all except for the note "This film has been formatted to fit your screen" (not my screen!) printed in 1pt flyspeck font at the bottom of the box in the back and almost totally obscured by stickers on the plastic shrink wrap.

I've since given that copy away to family and got the fullscreen edition for myself, but suffice it to say there was almost no screen format indication on the packing.

· Registered
366 Posts
I watched G.I. Jane.....???? Has anyone watched this? It says 2.35:1 on the back......it's 2.35:1 alright and it takes up about 1/2 of my Sammy 61" It appears as a small "wide" picture in the middle of my screen with black bars on ALL sides....what's up with that? I actually had to Zoom the picture on my Bravo in order to expand it to the left and right and only have bars at the top and bottom. Yes...all of my equipment is set up correctly (set to "Wide" or 16x9).

· Registered
24 Posts
What about "Castaway" ? It says 2.35:1 anamorphic on the back and it takes up the full screen...ie, no black bars while "Gladiator" 2.35:1 anamorphic shows the black bars...Are there many more movies that are labeled incorrectly...or shall I say...."misrepresented" ? Can I assume that my "Castaway" disc is also "incorrectly" labeled?

· Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Garrison
G.I. Jane must not be anamorphic then. Nothing to worry about. A lot of movies aren't anamorphic. Just watch it zoomed. It may looks a little fuzzier, but it'll still be watchable.
It's G.I. Jane. It's not watchable in any format.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.