AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Panasonic RP-56 and RP-91 dvd players. When I put certain dvd's into the RP91 (Aliens, When Harry Met Sally - no comments please), I can't get it to display in widescreen format. The RP-91 feeds my Marantz pj and the RP-56 a SONY 53" XBR200 RPTV. If I bring that same dvd and play it in my RP-56, it displays it properly in widescreen format.

I have checked and doublechecked the menus on the RP-91 and Marantz and can't figure out what is causing this.

On both players I am sending a regular interlaced signal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
That's very odd sounding. How does it display?

It sounds like asking if you have the RP-91 in 16:9 mode.

Aliens and WHMS are suppose to be anamorphic, right?

Just ofr the hell of it, did you swapping what player feeds what display? Marantz pj is the projector? I'd guess it's an issue with output format being sent to the Marantz.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Two comments:

For the RP91 to scale, you need it to be in "progressive" mode, right?

If you are in interlaced, then you use the TV to scale it.

At least, this is how it works on my set:

In progressive the RP91 does all scaling (see below);

In interlaced, the TV does the scaling -- you need to stretch (fill?) enhanced/anamorphic DVD's to 16:9 and zoom (full?) letterboxed DVD's using the TV. Different TV's call the screen modes different names.

In progressive, you have to set the RP91 to 16:9 in the "action" menu, and then you need to go into the video menu and set the 4:3 mode to "auto". This properly scales letterboxed DVD's.

Even when you do this there are some improperly flagged letterboxed/matted DVD's which "auto" misses -- you have to manually select "zoom".

"9-1/2 Weeks" is such a matted, improperly flagged DVD.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.