AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the HD-144S lenses and disconnecting the speakers I have started to converge.

When I tried to adjust the width-coils on the DA-board i found out that the only coil that would move was the green. I tried a little brute force and broke my plastic tool.

Since the green was moveable I managed to get red and green right but the blue is a little off.

What can I do? ( Even though the convergence isn't perfect the image is watchable, the HD-144S are great!)

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Old tube technician trick:

USe a soldering gun or iron to heat the ferrite core, which will in turn heat up the plastic or paper surrounding the core. That should free it up.

Curt

·
Registered
496 Posts
Try heating the coil gently with a hair dryer. Sometimes the coils are "locked" with wax and a little heat will loosen them enough to turn.

Also- the slug might already be broke, which of course makes turning it hard. To prevent breakage make 100% sure you only use a plastic tool.

As a last resort, someone (like Curt) might have a replacement coil available.

Edit - Curt beat me as I was typing. Same basic idea, although the solder iron trick always works. The only reason I dont use a soldering iron (except in rare cases) is because I have destroyed one or two coils by overheating them...

--Kieth

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll go for the hair dryer it seems a little less drastic...

No risk of drippng wax or damaging anything?

Johan

·
Registered
16,657 Posts
Moi ,

-- wax will not harm the electronics [ but don't heat it up too much ;) ] .

---- Jason Berg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.