AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, its my first post here.

sorry its a little long but i really want to fix this issue LOL

i just recently replace my 32 inch LCD Samsung with something little bigger.

i purchase LG 47LD500 during blackfriday sale; there is one wierd issue that im having with this new TV.

im currently running cable tv service from timewarner and i use the coax cable straight from the wall to the TV(no digital box or converter).

the issue is that whenever im trying to change the channel from any channel that starts with 1(ex : 11,12,13-1,135 and so on) to another channel that starts with 1, my tv display would shut down as soon as i input 1 on the remote, and return back to the current channel. the led shuts off and it seems like its dooing power cycle for 3-4 sec.

so i figure there is something wrong with the tv. i went back to the store and exchange it with the same model TV, but the problem persist. my old 32 Samsung works just fine.

zero also do something simillar. but any other number is working just fine.

if i exclude the HD channel from the auto tuning(2-1 / 4-1 /5-1 / and so on) the problem seems to go away.

called LG / Timewarner and they have no clue whats causing it.

LG thinks that the mainboard is broken and willing to repair. but after my 2nd tv does exactly the samething im not sure if that will fix the problem.

i don't have access to the rabbit antenna but will try this later.

if i get a cable box that would fix the problem because i wouldn't have to change the channel directly on the tv.

Please Advise

Cheers

T1no

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Assume the TV is tuning non-encrypted digital channels (locals and a few nationals). Perhaps the long pauses are just the TV having to change formats (scale to display's native resolution)--that is, one channel might be 720p, the next 1080i or 480i. A cable STB set to only 1080i out should prevent that. -- John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

i have no fluorescent light in the room, and yeah, set top box would fix the issue because i wouldn't be changing any channel directly on the tv.

my guess is that there is something flawed with the HD tuners.

i just dont want them to change the ma inboard if its involving soldering and stuff. im afraid it might affect the long term reliability of the tv.

any more inputs are welcome.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same TV but run it off of a Comcast DVR. I do however have rabbit ears hooked up to the antenna in. I don't have any local channels that start with a number one, but I did try selecting channel 11, then switching to channel 13 then 110 and back again without any problems (except for the snow of course).

Off topic, but I also have one stuck red pixel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito /forum/post/19609617

I have the same TV but run it off of a Comcast DVR. I do however have rabbit ears hooked up to the antenna in. I don't have any local channels that start with a number one, but I did try selecting channel 11, then switching to channel 13 then 110 and back again without any problems (except for the snow of course).

Off topic, but I also have one stuck red pixel.

i currently dont have access with rabbit ears but my guees is that there is something flawed or wrong with the tuners and the timewarner cable.

will try to borrow rabbit ears to test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by koocykoo /forum/post/19695701

When you exchanged your TV with another/new one, was the remote controller also replaced? Have you tried changing channel from the TV control?

yea, brand new set including the remote.

changing channel from tv control is like pushing + and - btn from the remote. i can only go up or go down one at a time.

which works perfectly even using the remote.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an LG plasma that has the same symptoms, but it is easily resolved with the rabbit ears antenna. I have a straight connection to the cable without cable box like you. On the digital channels i get a bout 3 channels, and the rest are scrambled. When i set up the channels the digital cable channels come first, then the rabbit ears over the air channels, then the cable standard def analog channels last. I did notice a slight delay when changing channels in the digital cable qam channels, but 1 sec not 3-4 seconds like your tv. My set up is i use a 3 way switch that switches between cable and antenna. That is one problem with these new hdtv's, there's only one coaxial input so you have to share the cable analog and digital or digital over the air channels. They don't have same resolution so its actually doing about 3 things before it displays the channel. Whenever i go from analog cable to digital channel the picture settings change too, so you have to change the picture settings for the analog and the digital channels. It might be better in your case to make sure ur digital qam channels and analog channels have same picture setting so it doesn't take another second to adjust.

Hope that helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts