AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea where to start, so I'll just spit it out as it comes to me.

I have an ATI AIW 128 Theatre Pro, and it came with MMC 7.1. I have used this setup for 6 months to record programs on tv with no problems so far. I have always used the "VCD format" (MPEG1) for recording because it doesn't use much space (600 MB/hour). No problems with this setup.

I have since started recording shows on higher channels which are not as clear as the lower channels, and thus have decided to use the next lowest recording format "longest time" which is (MPEG2) (1GB/hour). Here's where the problems start. If I record for an hour using this format, it never works right. It seems to have some problem keeping up with updating the video. The sound is always fine and never skips, however the video always stutters or completely freezes at some points, and sometimes it appears there is no video at all. If I record using this same format for 30 minutes, it's fine and has no problems at all anywhere.

At this point right now, I am formatting the storage drive (40GB) and going to try again. If it doesn't fix it, I don't know what else to try. As I stated before, this is a fresh install of the OS, so everything should be fine. Any ideas will be appreciated.

CeleronII 600MHz

256MB RAM

Win2k

ATI MMC 7.1

Girder 3.2

TIA

·
Registered
15 Posts
You need to shut down any other programs that are running at the same time that you are capturing video. Screen savers, the little clock in the corner of the screen, virus scanners, and anything else that is running in the background.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take a look at my processes and see what's running, but as far as I know, I don't have anyhting else running. I don't think hiding the system clock in the taskbar will do much, but I'll try it.

Is there a way to turn off the display when recording on MMC? I'm recording because I'm not there to watch it, and thus do not need it to display what it's recording.

Anything else I should try if killing extra processes doesn't fix the problem?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Anyone gotten 7.7 to work. I can't even get it to install. I've tried a number of times. The best result I had was finally getting everything installed, but could not get any picture in my TV window - just black. Gave me sound however.

I'm running both 7.6 and 7.5 on two different machines. Both have recording problems. 7.5 will only record a scheduled recording on the TV input, even though I tell it to record on the S-Video input. 7.6 records, but crashes at the end with some message about unable to access a file.

Driving me nuts.... nice card, but can't use the darned thing for what I want = recording???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.