AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put together what is for me, an ideal system. DirecTivo and VCR feeding a 1Ghz PIII running PowerDVD and DScaler feeding an NEC 150z projector. PQ is great. The problem I have is usability. Nearly every time I am not home and my wife wants to watch something I get a call. Early on there were stability problems with the system, but I've gotten those ironed out. The problem now is with switching between DScaler and PowerDVD. I have a remote programmed with macros that shut DScaler down and start PowerDVD, and vice versa. However, these do not always execute perfectly and the system will sometimes end up in a state that requires using the keyboard to straighten things out. The remote is programmed from an IR keyboard.

My ideal scenario would be for the computer to automatically shut down DScaler when a DVD is inserted and start playing the DVD. When the DVD is removed, the DVD software stops and DScaler restarts.

I could spend more time on IR control schemes but I think the above would be even easier. By the way, I'm not married to using PowerDVD (but I am married to being married :). One solution is to get standalone DVD player (yuck). Any better ideas? Thanks!

-Charles

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorry my reply is no help but welcome to the world of HTPC... Some people understand it some don't , most of the time it is our significant others that don't... I'm in the same boat and no matter what I do I have to leave her a way to turn on the TV and get what she wants. It does not matter how bad the picture is as long as she can turn on the TV and change channels.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is your remote sending a macro of IR commands or are you using one IR command to trigger a macro with Girder?

With a little work, you could probably get the DVD/dScaler switch to work automatically with Girder and the DVDSpy plug-in.

-James

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Girder can make this automatic... It has a learning curve but stick with it as it is very powerful / useful...

Also you can try 'skinning' your HTPC via Talisman, DTPro, Media Box, etc to give a visual front end as an alternative...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I am using the remote to send a sequence of commends, clearly using Girder wuld help. I'll check it out. Also, which of the "skins" do you recommend?

-Charles

·
Registered
294 Posts
You can save yourself and your wife a lot of headaches and buy a $120 DVD player just for her. I did. Now we live in peace. She presses one key on the ProntoPro to turn on the projector, amp, and switch to the DVD player. Another button does the same but switches to the ReplayTV4k (simple macros which hardly ever fail). She then uses the DVD remote or the ReplayTV remote and is happy. There is another button labled "Everything Off" for when she's done. I don't get "tech support" calls on my cell phone anymore :)

Regards,

Moaz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.