AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is in the early planning stages so I would like ideas and suggestions. The design concept is to build an attractive wall of cabinets that will also conceal the big screen and large speakers when they are not being used. The TV and speakers are covered with sliding raised panel doors.  Some photos to help. 

On the left is the profile of a fireplace. There is a sloped ceiling moving up to the right to 18' high. The open area includes a family room and kitchen which is about 18' X 18'. A breakfast alcove opens off of this space another 10.5' X 8.5' (good area for rear speakers.) The right side of the picture shows raised panel doors and the left side show what is under the doors. Hinged door panels will cover the 60" screen and the long door panel on the right covers the speaker cavity. The speaker panel slides to the left on top mounted rollers to cover the display cabinet as the speaker moves forward into the room on a wheeled platform via an electric motor. Another motor rotates the speaker on a turntable to the desired angle. The TV screen panels slide to the right under the speaker panel and half of this panel hinges into the empty speaker cavity.

On each side of the center DWM bay are componant shelves that will be covered with breathable fabric panels. Quiet remote fans will ventilate these cabinets. Notice the Odyssey Stratos. Klaus is just finishing up $570 of modifications to it. 

The DWM bass panel and the MMG-C speaker both will be motorized and will move forward.  When the panels are all back in place, this will look like an attractive raised panel wall of cabinets with lighted open display shelves.

I will make a large paper mache sculpture of the RCA speaker with the dog listening called "His Master's Voice" that will sit up on top center of cabinet. Notice how the speaker panel must sit higher than the TV panel. This provides a pocket for the TV panels to slip into. The TV panel label should move to the right on the roller panel. I was limited in the width of total space so the cavity for the speakers is only 20" which was sized for a Maggie 1.7. But since the cavity is over 25 inches deep, a 3.7 speaker can sit in there turned 90 degrees. After the cart moves the speaker out into the room, it can be rotated into position on a motorized turntable. 

To save money, I plan to first listen to and then buy an old 3A speaker.  I've seen repair videos and if I have to repair a speaker I'll still save $$. The DWM platform will be ready to add a speaker later. I also have MMG-W speakers for the sides and I'll get a couple more for the rear.

I looked at a lot of Google images of theatre designs and I havn't seen this anywhere. 

I'm open to suggestions and improvements. Ideally, I would like to push one button and everything would move into movie mode and another push would put it back into happy wife mode.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here is some additional information on the shape of the room. I used "Sweet Home 3D" for free - don't load the final file of adware if you give it a try. It is nice to have an over view. You can do a complete circular view of your room if you have the program installed. These are just screen shots.

Screenshot2014-03-2917.53.03.png 104k .png file
Screenshot2014-03-2918.00.00.png 96k .png file 
Screenshot2014-03-2917.51.29.png 105k .png file 
Screenshot2014-03-2918.00.00.png 96k .png file 

There is no wall space on the kitchen side of my room. There is wall space from  8' up to 14" above the kitchen, so I'm planning to mount MC1 speakers horizontally up high and tilt them down. I'll match the opposite surround above the patio door. I may put a Magnepan DWM speaker under the CC3 center or just use a Rythmik sub. I'll use either 1.7's or 1.6's in the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I colored an optional speaker placement in red. The original speaker placement is in green. The red speakers would be my MMG-W's placed in a more conventional vertical position as surrounds. The optional MC-1 surrounds up high in green on the side walls could also be placed vertically and tilted down toward the seating area. There is enough ceiling height to do this and the side dispersion would be better than a horizontal mounting. 

Screenshot2014-03-3110.37.08.png 100k .png file

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts