AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WIFE-Approved Non-Ugly Speakers?

Hi Guys,

Looking to upgrade my current KEF Q setup to something in the range of $3-5K.

Aesthetics is a huge deal for me to fit in a modern apartment. (Wife Acceptance Factor)
Eg. definitely NO to Klipsch 'cause they are insultingly ugly.

What are your suggestions for something that looks nice and plays well for music/movies?
Again, anything that looks gorgeous would be a bonus. Not a huge budget but try me.
(Was looking at KEF R's, B&W CMs and Monitor Audio).

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think the Wharfedale Jade line are pretty sexy

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Hi Guys,

Looking to upgrade my current KEF Q setup to something in the range of $3-5K.

Aesthetics is a huge deal for me to fit in a modern apartment. (Wife Acceptance Factor)
Eg. definitely NO to Klipsch 'cause they are insultingly ugly.

What are your suggestions for something that looks nice and plays well for music/movies?
Again, anything that looks gorgeous would be a bonus. Not a huge budget but try me.
(Was looking at KEF R's, B&W CMs and Monitor Audio).
This budget is for how many speakers? subs? towers or bookshelves?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The finish on the Salk's is fantastic.

If you want something with a small footprint AND has built in subs which saves even more space then look at the Def Tech STS's. My wife has been happy with them in our living room. Wonderful sound with built in sub so effectively full range for most people. Takes up VERY little floor space!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
why not look into some id companies like salk,jim salk makes some of the most beautiful speakers I have seen.
+1

Salk and Selah are two that come to mind if WAF is high on your list. I've never heard either but everyone that has seems to rave about them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
In order for my wife to approve any speaker, it would have to be either inconspicuous (like in-ceiling), camouflaged (fake greenery all over it), or appear to be something other than a speaker, like maybe a subwoofer that doubles as an end table.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
why not look into some id companies like salk,jim salk makes some of the most beautiful speakers I have seen.
+1 on Jim Salk. He made a beautiful MTM design for our 3 front channels. He used ribbon tweeters. Not only are they gorgeous to look at (piano black), but they sound superb. He was a nice guy easy to work with :)

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
check out some speakers made by Audio Physic such as their Scorpio or Tempo. Go over to Audiogon.com and click on full range speakers, and check out some of pics on a great assortment of speakers that are out there. Avalon makes some interesting looking speakers.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Philharmonics? Salk for sure..Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2?

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I agree with goodock, unless shes the bread winner.

If looks are more important than performance go bose. Non audiophiles seem to love them.

Why are you even here? Shouldnt she be here if she makes all the decisions?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a speaker having a nice look while also having great performance. The most recent speaker to catch my eye is the Avantgarde Zero 1. I think that is a beautiful modern design and I would love to hear them. Another speaker design I would like to hear is from Spatial Audio. They look interesting as well. A speaker that I liked from some years ago was the Vienna Acoustic Mahler.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts