AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let this be a warning to all of you. Block out the Hallmark channel now! My wife discovered it when I showed her an article about Margaret Bush (the president's sister-in-law) hosting something about adoption on the Hallmark channel.

Margaret had ovarian cancer at age 5, and had a hysterectomy that saved her life. But, she had to adopt in order to have children. She acts in local community theater plays that my mother-in-law works on.

Anyway, my wife wanted to record the program since we've met Margaret and seen her plays, and is now interested in the Hallmark channel. This is awful!! I've got some crap about Princess Diana on right now. What a waste of an HDTV!

Block the chick-flick channel now, or you, too, may have tear-jerking crapolla on your TV! :(

Brad

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Nah, block Lifetime and LMN if you want to block anything....

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You need a 2nd receiver and a cheap analog TV.

You can get a kitchen under the cabinet TV and you'll never see her again. Or better still, a 20" TV for the garage, and you can get a cheap lens on Ebay to turn it into a 100" TV! Well, after they ever solve the bandwidth problem, anyway.

I've been tempted to try this 100" setup myself. Only problem is it needs a fairly dark room, I'm told.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I agree with Corey140

Lifetime and LMN - with their "Women in Peril" or "Disease of the Week" (now DAY, all formerly Made for TV ) Movies are enough to choke any man.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the Mrs. an UltimateTV receiver this time last year for her birthday. At the time, Tivo hadn't turned on the 2 tuner capability, and I couldn't be sure when they would.

The problem is, now she'll fill up the hard drive with Hallmark Hall of Fame stuff. I'm hoping that she'll forget to check the TV schedule.

The Lifetime movies and so on remind me of the ads for that bad sitcom, "Blossom". Every episode was, "...on a very special Blossom". I just remember the ads and couldn't believe people watched it.

It might be too late for me, but do what you can to keep Chick Flicks and Princess Diana stuff off of your TV!:D

Brad

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpade
I bought the Mrs. an UltimateTV receiver this time last year for her birthday. At the time, Tivo hadn't turned on the 2 tuner capability, and I couldn't be sure when they would.

The problem is, now she'll fill up the hard drive with Hallmark Hall of Fame stuff. I'm hoping that she'll forget to check the TV schedule.

The Lifetime movies and so on remind me of the ads for that bad sitcom, "Blossom". Every episode was, "...on a very special Blossom". I just remember the ads and couldn't believe people watched it.

It might be too late for me, but do what you can to keep Chick Flicks and Princess Diana stuff off of your TV!:D

Brad
You probably won't have to worry about Di for much longer. Fairly soon it will be the saga of children of Di (and their spouses and their families) and all their real or perceived woes. Better load up on extra 100 meg TiVos now. Or else figure out how to record to CDRW.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yeah, Life, LMN and Oxygen are much worse. My mom watches Lifetime and LMN all the time. Some of those movies are so fake, cheap and craopy it isnt even funny. And I hate how they portray men, usually as wife beaters, cheaters or alcoholics. And O2, Operah owns it. My point has been made :D

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes, but to change direction here, " What about QVC ? "

My own mother and many women spend (in both senses of the word) hours and hours watching all the products that are available.

One poor (all definitions of that word) friend had his mother go into a buying frenzy. The classic example was an Air Cleaner. She not only bought one for nearly every room in the house, she bought about a five year supply of the filters, for each one. I remember seeing stacks of boxes pilled high of this stuff and other things she bought. Most of it was unopened. Once, I went to the front door, only to find it completely blocked by QVC boxes.

At least Lifetime, LMN, and Oxygen are only mind numbing, not pocket book draining !

Imagine if they watch all these channels !

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My wife and I adopted our daughter from China and last night she told me about an adoption series running on Hallmark. Thankfully, she is too busy to watch TV so I don't have to worry about her taking it over.

I have offered on several ocassions to PVR a show for her but she always says she's too busy to watch TV.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I see your point, Dmon4u but remember shopping channels do have their positatives, like keeping prices loow and...well...Thats about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You guys are going at this all wrong!

This is leverage for spousal extortion!

Get them to do something for you, then unlock the channel for the show they want to watch, then lock it up again for more extortion fees!

Thank god I'm the "techie" in my household.

Actually I love my wife dearly and would let her do about anything, but this sounds like some fun I could have with her.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
In flipping through the guide, checking out the programming on these stations, I discovered "Zena: Warrior Princess" is on Oxygen, but I didn't find ANYTHING of redeeming value on Lifetime or LMN, at least in the next few days.

I should note that it's not just these channels I'm removing from the channel guide, but basically any hooha I don't care about, as it makes scanning the guide less cumbersome. What I'd like is some kind of report that shows how much time has been spent watching each channel, so that I can remove those channels nobody in the house ever watches. With this information there could be an option in the channel guide to sort by most watched to least watched channels. That might be a little embarrassing though.

David

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am so glad that my wife works half-time. She records what she wants on the UTV and watches it while I am at work.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Be careful what you wish for, guys. Shame on you. You better hope they don't have a friend like me. I don't watch any of these low resolution, female victim-of-the-week junk shows either, but blocking their favorite channels is just plain mean.

Consider the alternative: If you asked me, "Doesn't the picture look great, honey?", you'd probably hear,"Well, I dunno. The white balance looks off to me. Where's the service manual?" Oh, and you'd be sleeping in the guest room until you bought me my own Pronto.

(Just having a bit of fun :cool: :p )

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Consider the alternative: If you asked me, "Doesn't the picture look great, honey?", you'd probably hear,"Well, I dunno. The white balance looks off to me. Where's the service manual?"
Now thats what I like to hear!!! :D

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
More Posts like that and she'll have more Marriage proposals than she knows what to do with.

Also the Divorce rate will go up !

·
Registered
72 Posts
C'mon guys! Don't totally block out the Hallmark channel. Some late nights they run "The Rifleman" with Chuck Connors!!!! Ta-da, da, Da-dunt, Da!....bullets go flying...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The newer Don Quixote movie was on Hallmark last fall. I missed it when it orginally aired on TNT. When Halmark was Odyssey I used to watch some episodes of The Muppet Show. So I cant say this channel has been a total waste of bandwidth for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.