AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The head of the house gave permission to buy a plasma and a 42" would fit nice over the fireplace. I did the heat test and it will be fine. I now have to decide what model to buy. I have seen all the threads about DV-HCDP and I would like to know a little more about it and some hints about what is out there.:confused:

Thanks all

·
Registered
85 Posts
there are alot of factors.

first and foremost, what is your budget?

also, how are you going to use it? ie. monitor with a HT system or as a standalone television. do you have HD available? what do you plan to watch? HD/regular cable/satellite/DVD?

too many factors to consider. we need some help narrowing it down.

also, especially if the wifey is the head of the household.......does the aesthetics of the TV matter? what kind of frame it's in, what color, certain kind of look, etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Budget: 5,000

Use : I have a HT that it will be hooked to and I have COx cable which offers HDTV I can always which to Direct TV or some Sat company. I like watching movies I am not a sports fan. I will be buying a new DVD player when I get the Plasma.

Looks: it will go over the fireplace and we like the black or grey frame sets

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
With that budget - can you squeeze in a 50in? Both space wise and the few extra $$$.

The Pioneer 50in and the newly announced (and I heard from some fish lady - possible shipping soon:)) Panasonic 50in will be pretty impressive for your needs.

That said - recently purchased Panny 6UY 42in and LOVE it. Would have been happy with the Pioneer I'm sure as well (43in). These are well below your price range and would allow you a few more goodies:) Both are highly regarded on the forum. The panny comes in a few flavors ED - consumer and commerical, HD (just now shipping) in the same. Pioneer has two major flavors - commercial and consumer. With the commercial being the favored one.

Fujitsu has an awesome picture, and would stretch your budget for the 42in. IMHO - before I spent that much on a 42in, I would get the 50in in the above flavors.. The picture just wasn't worth an extra 2K to me.

AKAI(Samsung 4235 - found at Costco) can be had for 3K or so, has tuner, speakers and stand that it appears you do not need - as do the consumer models mentioned above. So for your needs you may be better off getting the commerical models, saving a few bucks and gaining a feature or two.

There are obvioulsy many other models out there. These come to mind as they are discussed often here and tend to have great PQ and are considered a value for the $$.

Therese

·
Registered
733 Posts
Definitely look at the new Panny 42. The Fujitsu 42 ED panel can also be had for several hundred dollars below your budget number. I got one and love it. Give the Panny a hard look though as it offers some potential upgradeability that the Fujitsu does not, and it will be a bit cheaper (although I am not sure how much cheaper after you add a DVI card--someone else can answer that).

Personally, I would not go for the Pioneer 43 over the Panny or Fujitsu 42. I just don't think the scaler is in the same ballpark. That said, size matters, and the Pioneer 503cmx is still a heck of a plasma for the money. It ain't quite as good as the Fujitsu 50, but it is darn good, and available close to your budget. If this will be your main display, think hard about getting a 50"er.

Good luck, and don't let us all suck you into the waiting game, as the good news is that most all of the current "name brand" plasma offerings are very good now.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Get whatever you buy with dvi/hdcp. As has been stated several times it keeps things in a pure digital form. That is not something I know but what I have read here on the forum.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Go with a 42", PQ is much better than most 50" displays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.