Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I am currently using a classic Sony 4000 HD LCD projector which gives me 16:9 and HDTV, albeit with a bit of fan noise and less brightness than the new projectors.

I still think its great, but my wife wants a plasma for the bedroom wall. Perhaps some of you can relate....

Assuming she wins this debate, could someone please tell me what specs I need to play DVDs and to receive the ultimate HD signal available from Time Warner Cable.

I will also use a DVD player and possibly Playstation 2. I have tons of audio equipment, so I would rather NOT have a cheesey onboard amp, tuner, speakers etc if possible -- just the display.

A quick review of recent posts suggests Panasonic and Fujitsu, but if its all the same, I prefer the case and logo of the Sonys.

This would be even better if last years display only device has just dropped in price and will give me everything I need.

Thank you very much and best wishes.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have a Philips 42FD9954 with the FTR9965 E-BOX, and HD with TW looks amazing, so does SD, I am more than pleased with the picture of this plasma, it's an ALIS panel 1024x1024 resolution, compared to the competition and price you can't beat it, go check one out, and if you do make sure you turn the contrast down, since most if not all places that I saw it at had the contrast way up high, went to BB and they had the contrast at 100%, not one place had the thing calibrated right, this board is more of a Panasonic Pioneer board, so most of the responses will lean that way, good luck.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumont
Hello Everyone

I am currently using a classic Sony 4000 HD LCD projector which gives me 16:9 and HDTV, albeit with a bit of fan noise and less brightness than the new projectors.

I still think its great, but my wife wants a plasma for the bedroom wall. Perhaps some of you can relate....

Assuming she wins this debate, could someone please tell me what specs I need to play DVDs and to receive the ultimate HD signal available from Time Warner Cable.

I will also use a DVD player and possibly Playstation 2. I have tons of audio equipment, so I would rather NOT have a cheesey onboard amp, tuner, speakers etc if possible -- just the display.

A quick review of recent posts suggests Panasonic and Fujitsu, but if its all the same, I prefer the case and logo of the Sonys.

This would be even better if last years display only device has just dropped in price and will give me everything I need.

Thank you very much and best wishes.
Keep the projector. Wait until your wife get a load of the Plasma display with its high price tag and screen door effect in all its glory.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Plasmas are no longer as expensive as they used to be (depending on size and resolution). The Panny 6UY 42" can be had for ~$2800 online (maybe less). The screen door effect (as well as burn in) is over hyped. Unless you're sitting only 6 feet away, you won't notice the "screen door". Burn-in is typically not a problem, but if you're really concerned about it, perhaps a DLP rear projection is the right choice.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
" The Panny 6UY 42" can be had for ~$2800 online (maybe less)."

Alas, zero inventory anywhere. :(

Mark

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor55
Keep the projector. Wait until your wife get a load of the Plasma display with its high price tag and screen door effect in all its glory.

Troll alert.

BTW, haven't seen any projector's that work so great for the bedroom wall.

elvis

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cybertec
excuse me if I ofend you, but you sound like an idiot, have a nice day.
Personal attack and insults are not allowed in the AVS forum. I should report your post.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Beaumont,

You have got a PM.

Roman

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
How much do you love her? If you love her alot then I'd go for the Fujitsu P50XHA30US or Good Guys has the P50XHA1US for $8000. Else go for the Panny 6UY model for $6000 from Plasma Concepts. The only problem with the latter is if you have a problem with the unit there's a 25% restocking fee and shipping is not included and you only have 10 days to return it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
what is all this hype about how great HD is on TWC in ny ? I don't get it ! there is so little programming broadcast in HD that I find it almost a joke. Could someone explain ? I mean 99% of ch4hd (#704) and ch7hd (#707)are semi HD (with those stupid bars that eat into the life of your screen - and in my personal view make it less enjoyable than the regular channels), the only HD ch. I know of that truly is 1080i is Discovery. I imagine there are a few more in the premium packages, but please enlighten me !

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by windwaves
what is all this hype about how great HD is on TWC in ny ? I don't get it ! there is so little programming broadcast in HD that I find it almost a joke. Could someone explain ? I mean 99% of ch4hd (#704) and ch7hd (#707)are semi HD (with those stupid bars that eat into the life of your screen - and in my personal view make it less enjoyable than the regular channels), the only HD ch. I know of that truly is 1080i is Discovery. I imagine there are a few more in the premium packages, but please enlighten me !
I have TWC HD, I get HBO and SHO in HD, also Discovery and Chanel13HD, plus cbs has some real nice HD programing, yes fox, nbc and abc are laging behind a bit in HD programing, but they are comming along, we will be getting MSG and ESPN HD very soon and HDNET, I was watching 007- Die Another Day last night in HD on SHO and it looked sweet, HD is just getting on the mainstream, Rome was not build in a day, just like with any new tech it takes time, in a few years HD will be the norm.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
I did say have a nice day, your post sounded like nonsense, nothing personal,have a NICE DAY.
You just messed my day up, I'm crushed and even devasted that you would think my post was nonsense.:)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
You just messed my day up, I'm crushed and even devasted that you would think my post was nonsense. I really thought what I said about Plasma and their glorious screen door PQ was accurate.

:)
I don't see any screen door on my Plasma, of course I dont watch TV from 2 feet away, have a nice day and stop making false asumptions.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
I don't see any screen door on my Plasma, of course I dont watch TV from 2 feet away, have a nice day and stop making false asumptions.
I edited my and struke that comment away, because it obvious you have invested in a Plasma screen feel passionate about your choice of display. I don't want you to feel put down are bad.

I'm not a big fan of Plasma and I have some negative opinions about them, however if your think they're great, good for you.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Auditor55, you're so crushed you can't spell devastated. Don't take all this that seriously or I'll have to recommend you to my therapist.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
I edited my and struke that comment away, because it obvious you have invested in a Plasma screen feel passionate about your choice of display. I don't want you to feel put down are bad.

I'm not a big fan of Plasma and I have some negative opinions about them, however if your think they're great, good for you.
no it's NOT cause I bought a plasma, the reason I bought a plasma is cause it has the best PQ of any other tech out there, I did shop around for quite sometime before I took the plunge, DLPS RPTVS LCDS, nothing comes close, LCD is almost there but not quite yet, if any of the other tech was any better would you think that the folks in here would fork over 3-10 grand for a lesser tech, I don't think so, just ask anyone else on this forum and they will tell you the same, it's not better cause I have one, it's just better cause it is.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Auditor55, let's face it, this is a very subjective issue as audio and video will always be because we all see and hear in very different and subjective ways. I bought a Fujitsu P50XHA10US plasma and I love it, but would I recommend it to all of my clients? No, because we all have our budgets and priorities but I feel if I'm going to spend alot of time watching broadcasts and DVDs, then I want something that I'll like for a long time. The PQ is outstanding. The current and soon to be replace Fujitsu model was produced according to my specs after I talked to a senior manager for Fujitsu and pointed out that then needed at least 2 component inputs and actually 2 dvi inputs. People say plasmas are coming down but it's like comparing a Hyundai to a BMW, you get what you pay for. Cheap plasmas do not deliver because of the processor and the glass what Fujitsu can deliver. Don't be fooled.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
Auditor55, let's face it, this is a very subjective issue as audio and video will always be because we all see and hear in very different and subjective ways. I bought a Fujitsu P50XHA10US plasma and I love it, but would I recommend it to all of my clients? No, because we all have our budgets and priorities but I feel if I'm going to spend alot of time watching broadcasts and DVDs, then I want something that I'll like for a long time. The PQ is outstanding. The current and soon to be replace Fujitsu model was produced according to my specs after I talked to a senior manager for Fujitsu and pointed out that then needed at least 2 component inputs and actually 2 dvi inputs. People say plasmas are coming down but it's like comparing a Hyundai to a BMW, you get what you pay for. Cheap plasmas do not deliver because of the processor and the glass what Fujitsu can deliver. Don't be fooled.
I've seen the Fujitsu's and personally I'm not impressed, I still see screen door effect on them. I think for some (maybe not you and others) the reason they purchase Plasma screens is for status, thinness and the sexy/coolness effect. When it comes to picture quality, I'm more impressed with DLP, LCD and CRT and you can get them for a lot less.

Not to mention you have burn in issues with Plasma's.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.