AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of Andrew Jones Pioneers last summer, and I love them. I got the 2 floor towers, the center channel, and the BS21 rear channel speakers.

They sound great, but they are pretty big, considering I was using a soundbar before, they are VERY big. So the wife hates them, just aesthetically. What's a good way to go about hiding speakers like this to bring up the Wife Acceptance Factor? I'm sure I'm not the only one to have had this problem!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
One way to completely hide tower speakers is to simply get a large piece of attractive cloth and drape it over them so they are completely hidden. Black is good, but anything will work, as long as it is not so thick as to block sound.

Putting something heavy on the top of the speaker can be used to keep it from sliding off or getting moved inadvertently.

Some sort of statue or vase or other decorous object can be placed on top and the speakers just look like stands for the object on top.

By the time you drape them and let the old lady pick something to go on top, she will start to like them.

I used to use 8 x 8 x 6" stacked concrete blocks as speaker stands, and cover them that way, with dark cloth pillow cases.

Concrete makes one heck of a speaker stand, but the WAF issue requires cover-up...lol.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71  /t/1469445/wife-hates-the-big-andre...ny-thoughts-on-how-to-hide-them#post_23232608

Those are not big speakers IMHO. Can you build an acoustically transparent false wall and put the speakers behind that?
That's a good idea. If not a wall, maybe make some freestanding Japanese-style screens using speaker cloth?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good ideas to try so far, thanks all. Keep em coming!

One big problem is that center channel. It has the curved cabinet, so you can't really put anything on top of it. Right now it just sits on top of our entertainment system below the TV. I need to figure out something different to do with it. It's probably not as good acoustically, but I could put it on the top shelf of the entertainment system/AV cabinet. It'll put it below ear level, but not too far.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Instead of trying to hide your speakers, I suggest you enjoy them and start a counter-offensive. You have a dig line in the sand now - your speakers are really pretty small towers. What will happen if ever want something big like Klipsch Refeence 7's? Or even bigger?

Look around YOUR home (not just hers) and start commenting on stuff that doesn't meet the HAF - Husband Acceptance Factor. For instance - tell her those Bed, Bath & Beyond Tea Rose towels you keep buying are really assaulting your visual senses. I think we should get a nice manly Navy Blue. Not everywhere - just on my side of the towel rack. Now your indictaing a sense of fairness and willingness to compromise.

Next is the kitchen. Tell her you really can't enjoy you meals anymore eating them off some pastel colored Monet inspired plate that looks like kitty cat vomit and you would like plates that are a bit more manly - like with Old Spice Clipper Ships on them. Tell her she doesn't have to change all the China, just the stuff you eat off of. Again, your demonstarting a strong sense of fairness and willingness to compromise.

Finally, if none of this works its time to escalate to DEFCON 3 - start commenting on how those new jeans she bought really look two sizes too small and innocently ask if she thinks they are manufacturing them smaller now? They way they fit just doesn't meet the HAF anymore. If she cries, just turn up your Andrew Jones speakers. Good luck.

Reactions: bburstei

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree, the center speaker size and shape is a problem. It is going to cause me to build som sort of platform for the top of the tv stand to hold it and raise the tv. Uggghhh

·
Registered
639 Posts
So your wife does not like your speakers, and you are worried about what? What can she do? She may grumble for a bit but that's all.

Men, need to start being men and learn to put your foot down.

How many things does she buy things for the home without your approval or how many times has she gotten her way on things.

Sometimes the wife does not get what she wants.

·
Registered
85" Sony 900H, Denon AVR-X3600H, (2) HSU VTF-2
320 Posts
Man...just saw this thread. That was the same issue with my wife. It isnt that they are large per se, it is that they are just ugly (no offense to anyone who has them, but they are ugly). What did I do?.....I bought better looking speakers (PSB's). Dont let anyone hate on you man.....we are kept men....and I am fine with that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by border411  /t/1469445/wife-hates-the-big-andre...ny-thoughts-on-how-to-hide-them#post_23236588

Man...just saw this thread. That was the same issue with my wife. It isnt that they are large per se, it is that they are just ugly (no offense to anyone who has them, but they are ugly). What did I do?.....I bought better looking speakers (PSB's). Dont let anyone hate on you man.....we are kept men....and I am fine with that.

Exactly. They are not pretty, and that center channel especially is irritating. At least I managed to wall mount the surrounds.

And like I always say, Happy Wife, Happy Life.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Use this opportunity to look into a projector and 120" screen that they can hide behind.

·
Registered
85" Sony 900H, Denon AVR-X3600H, (2) HSU VTF-2
320 Posts
I agree Irishdoom! If I went too big on the center than I wouldnt be able to get a bigger TV, which the wife wants down the road as well. That is why I went with the B5's (so they fit nicely in some custom built bookcases) and the C4 (which is a really small but FULL sounding center channel). Got them for $644 shipped (B stock) from Saturday Audio.

And Nethawk....you always have the best advice!

Oh....and DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT listen to Paraneer. Good god, please dont!
That is, unless you plan on living in different residences when you divorce, in which case those speakers are fine!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do you really think your gonna be happy with Andrew Jones Towers or PSB bookshelves forever? Be honest with yourself - sooner or later you'll want something bigger like Reference 7's, Synchronys, Legacys, etc. How will you ever get them if you don't draw a line in the sand right now boys?

Happy Wife? Happy Life???? yeah sure...her Happy Life.

Stop worrying about the WAF. Instead make her worry about the HAF! You'll thank me many years from now.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sometimes ya gotta loose the battle to win the war

Only the OP can make that call.

But your wife should at least know that by home theater standards, those ARE small speakers. Nicer looking speakers, at the same size might keep her happy? Take the time to find out what she does and does not like about the appearance of your speakers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts