Registered
1,399 Posts
Mancard, renewed!

Reactions: Boomassiv

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I cannot find any Gen 2 pictures, I took out the MCM 22"s and the Z shaped baffles and put up a double plywood panel. I installed 10 X 15" auto subwoofers, mix of rockford fosgate competition series in 3 different generations. The MCM subs only had about 7mm X-max, the auto subs were better at about 15mm or so. Now I was starting to shake the house!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
generation 3 is my avatar picture, I took out the 4 oldest and lowest x-max 15"s and redid the front panel to use 6X15" and 2X 21" Exodus Audio M-21"s. I had to use a pry bar to prevent the door from working itself open when I was really pumping out some deep bass.
Still, I was not breaking anything! Wife hated that the door I was using was the one into her laundry room, so the door was kinda heavy for her to swing open or closed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So time for a reset, put the regular laundry room door back in place, and moved down to the small family room at the end of the basement.
Now it was time to go BIG! Decided that not only could I put a IB in the door way, I could do a extra wide IB the extended beyond the doorway. Let the build begin, my son is supposed to be helping with the pictures part, we will see how that goes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the reply's guys, my project this size is bound to be noticed by the better half. Now to get some more pictures loaded of the install in the room and both the first part with only 20 subs and then the most recent redo into MOAR SUBS!!

picture of cabinets in position on both sides of the door

starting to install speakers

speakers installed, notice outside drivers are installed with magnets facing outward to clear the front drivers magnets inside the boxes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nice Magnum! Threads like this make me want to add to my 2 18s

Reactions: Bombelman

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually it was my wife that found the Maggie for me. She was supposed to be looking for a newer Jeep to replace her 1995 Grand Limited, she told me to come look at a Dodge Magnum for her. I had never noticed them before, I have a 1968Cuda with a 440-6 in my back garage, Had not driven it for 25 years, every kid wanted to race me, because of the fenderwell headers, car rocks at idle, etc. Well this big black Gangsta car was being sold for less than NADA low book, seems no here wants a SRT-8 Hemi with low miles. So now its mine, Itell everyone its a big Hybrid, burns gas and rubber haha. Now to get back my slightly over the top IB build.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
"Slightly". Nah, it's full blown over the top! In a good way. Can't imagine why your wife didn't like the 300lb door? :)

Why may I ask are you forcing this IB install into that doorway? Looks like you've got the construction know how to build a baffle wall. You certainly have outgrown the doorway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now the 18 X 18" subs are installed along with the 2 X 21" M-21's are on the front door panel.I used a 1.75 in door slab from Lowes, I knew it was particle board when I bought it, but when I cut the circles for the subs I found out it was more like sawdust in the center, almost NO glue, waddya expect from these big box stores. After a few months enjoying this setup, I really got 24" envy, knew THAT would never fly past the wife. Creative juices got to flowing, measuring tape came out, some back of envelope calculations showed that Maybe I could join the 24 club in a different manner. Time for the bigV baffle!

beginning the front panels, will be 2 layers thick.

adding to the pile of wood frisbees.

bend, fold and glue and screw, getting closer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Decided the front portion would have to be 3 layers of 5/8 baltic birch for the strenth to support the 8 SI 18's, seems only 1 place in Salt Lake City has the 4X8 sheets, $$$, but gotta due it right. Polyurethane glue and clamps to bond everything together.

back side of v baffle after installation.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts