AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So wife now agrees to spend $5-6K on a non-CRT projector.

Non-CRT because it will have to reside in our living room (we live in an apt). RPTVs are out because of their hulking size.

The room is big and has zero ambient light control. That's OK, becase we'll watch DVDs and a little HD at nite via FP, and for day viewing we'll use a Direct View set. I'm thinking of a Skyworth to feed the FP (PAL DVDs are important to us).

So, does it make sense? There will be a little light coming in even at nite; will it mess things up?

And I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me make a short list of projectors in the above price range (give or take $500) for research and a planned October 2001 purchase.

The Sanyo PLV-90 sounds promising, but the Sony 10HT isn't a slouch, either. I guess D'ILA is out of range, but what about DLP?

TIA

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I have seen a G10 DILA go for around $3800. You can probably get a used G11 for less than $6k.

On the other hand, the new Sanyo sounds awesome. I think that I would choose it over the 10HT any day due to the fact that you can address each pixel if you want to and for the much improved contrast level. The brightness is awesome too for that projector. Check out the Infocus LP340/LP350 series too. Then there are the Thumperized projectors too.

Hope this helps a little.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Good gawd man! It doesn't matter if it makes sense, she said yes! What a situation to be in, compared to the purchase, then grovel for forgiveness method the rest of us used. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Seriously, you won't regret it. If there is anything that you can do later to improve the lighting conditions that will only make the situation better. If I didn't need two cars, I'd go for the G15 power buy. Alas...

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
657 Posts
The real question is . . . how did you get her to say "yes" ? If you could give me a step by step method for achieving the same result with my own project I'd be forever grateful!

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mattman, it took a lot of work.

I nickled and dimed her to death by dropping hints for over a year.

I did not play the HDTV card (really not enough programming yet), but managed to convince her that watching movies on DVD (particularly her beloved ones, the artsy-fartsy http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif European flicks) at home, with a nice cocktail in hand, would be great.

And what display device is best to display PAL Dvds in this country? Why, the FPTV, of course...

FPTV has no bulk of the RPTV, offers a bigger image than a plasma at lower cost per image size, and it all comes in a cute little box that can be stowed away if need be.

So these were the arguments.

Now, keep the suggestions coming, guys. I visited the projectorcentral, read up on LCD vs DLP vs D'ILA wars, will have six grand in my pocket in October to shop!!!

I hope for some news from Infocomm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.