AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ummmm, these are generally considered to be mutually exclusive terms.

Get the projector first... On second thought, get the theater first.. then get the wife. At least then she can't claim.. "I never knew how obsessed he was with this silly hobby!"

:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mikerascan has a good point, get your stuff first then get married and if there is a devorce in the future, god forbid, you should have no problem claiming ownership. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Brian Ingram

Pardon my terrible spelling :)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Many people owe their money to their first wife, and their second wife to their money. My advice: wait for the second wife before buying a projector.

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
423 Posts
I guess it depends on which squeeze you prefer- flesh or anamorphic. They can, however, augment each other. As a formerly married, now single guy, I can attest that the HT makes an excellent seduction tool! Hide your videophile neurosis, and avoid tweaking around women, however.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dunno, man-- I lose this fight EVERY SINGLE TIME.

:-(

(which is why I still borrow a machine instead of owning one myself)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Obviously, the only right reply is YMMV (your marriage may vary)...

My wife is also a computer tech, and what really worries her is "upgradeitis" - a few K$ here, a few K$ there; where does it end? What I have to do is to be (verifiably!) certain that a >2K$ purchase is IT for about 5 years - no whining about the "great new toys". She did let me buy a Jaguar (used) after 2 years of moping, but I have to keep it for at least 10 years. Adding a supercharger is RIGHT OUT!

So, although I read this forum several times daily, I will probably sit back until Christmas(?); there are SUPPOSEDLY big improvements coming, so this is bad time to buy - like any is a perfect time.

This is also why I'm not building an HTPC - DDR RAM, new CPUs; this is a very unsettled time in the PC world. These things do come in surges.

I can see several projectors that I could tolerate, but nothing that blows me away for less than $5K right now. To me (AND my wife!), even $3K is a major commitment - we'd BOTH rather put that money into home improvements! Waitin' and hopin'...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Seriously, people -- any women on this forum?

Something must be done about the projector/wife dillemma.

Engagement ring = $8k = DILA + HTPC

·
Registered
613 Posts
Go with the one that comes with the best warranty. You definitely don't want either of these units breaking down on you before you have a chance to upgrade. Repairs are expensive on these things. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Don't anthropomorphize computers - they hate it.

Anon

·
Registered
43 Posts
Depends on which of the two generates the greater noise. Can you put a wife in a hush-box?

------------------

Dave

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Monsoon,

Are you talking about the wife or the PJ. I would have to assume that you must be talking about the PJ since all wives come with lousy warrantys that are loaded with disclaimers on a revolving basis. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Mike

·
Registered
296 Posts
Luckily my fiancé is an engineer and makes her own money. She buys her toys, I buy mine. As long as I spend at least a LITTLE time on her over the weekend I'm golden to tweak to my hearts content.

I feel bad for you poor suckers who married controlling women looking for an allowance! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
You stand a much better chance of trading in a used projector for a newer, smaller, flashier model, but either way it will cost you a lot of money.

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wife vs projector...Hmmm...and I thought a CRT needed constant tweaking.

On the other hand, a properly functioning wife can blow away (no pun intended) any movie!

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Ah, if only I could anamorphize my wife and make her 33% skinnier...

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
613 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.