Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been trying to convince my wife that we need new speakers. Right now, we have some old Bose cubes. She has agreed, with conditions; I think I'll have to relent and get in-wall speakers. What do you all recommend for fronts and rears? I have convinced her that a stand-alone sub is required. Also, we have a plasma on a stand on a cabinet that has a place for a wide, flat, center speaker. What do you all recommend to match the in-walls?

Thanks,

BoB

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Revel has inwalls now ...

Theres other good brands..

Also, sometimes you can get away with a real center speaker in the cabinet, and then just have the 4 (or 6) other speakers inwall..

I would look for the best speakers, and also the best" speaker aiming" possibilities for your room ( for lack of a better word) . The best inwall speakers wont sound very good unless they can be directionally integrated towards your seating.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Why not do an inwall for the center as well. Then you'll have a perfectly matched set up.

Def Tech makes some pretty good bipole inwalls for the surrounds.

Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify a bit more. The room is less-than-ideal. 15x15x8, with 3 windows on one side and open to the kitchen on the other (think "great room"). For that reason, I'd like to avoid spending up into the high-end. The house was built prewired for fronts and rears in the wall. As a result, I can do the install myself, but I don't want to futz with the center. I'll put the center in the TV cab. I'd like to spend around $2000 for the whole shebang as we're not audiophiles and the room sucks. We watch maybe 2 movies a month and pretty much anything we can get in HD.

Hopefully that helps narrow things down.

Thanks!

BoB

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Pioneer VSX1015 is a natural choice for reciever... with room correction and power for 400 bucks..

Then you need a brand that has an outside center that matches reasonably with some inwalls..

Also i would get aiming tweeters, at a minimum.

Maybe the Infinity CS-60s teamed with the Infinty C360? :)

I donno, havent heard many inwall speakers...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Triad makes some great in-walls, at a variety of price points. I've heard Triads, Snell, and Linn Sekrit, and all sounded good. The Triad and Snell's I heard with demo's of some D-Theater movies while auditioning projectors, and were both very dynamic. I would try to get in-walls which come with a backing box included as part of the design, vs. the open-back kind (or the kind with an optional box); just becasue it seems to me like that is closer to a in-room speaker, just voiced to be placed flush with the wall (all tuning, etc should be straitforward). Also, I'm not sure how many offer this, but it seems like aimable tweeters would be a good idea. As far as other well-regarded brands, James Loudspeaker is one I've seen recommended quite a bit. As John mentioned, Revel has in-wall's now, but I haven't heard them yet; in any case I don't think they would fit your budget.

Good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think the Triad In-Walls are great. They work great both for movies and music. We used them in our home theater and I was extremely impressed. Triad has an extensive selection of models, so you may want to contact Paul Scarpelli at Triad to find out which speakers would work for your application and meet your price point. Paul contributes frequently to the AVS forum and you can do a search and PM him directly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Pioneer VSX1015 is a natural choice for reciever... with room correction and power for 400 bucks..

Then you need a brand that has an outside center that matches reasonably with some inwalls..

Also i would get aiming tweeters, at a minimum.

Maybe the Infinity CS-60s teamed with the Infinty C360? :)

I donno, havent heard many inwall speakers...
I'm good on the receiver. I have a Yamaha VX-1200. Got it a few years back and love it. Thanks for the other suggestions!

BoB

·
Registered
257 Posts
wall. if you buy floor standing and do not like them you just unhook them and sell them. not as easy to sell in wall speakers. remember the most permanent thing is hardest to correct later on. do you have an inwall refrig. why not. they when they change the size or shape you have a problem. same with speakers. who knows what they will be like in size in years to come. if she is into art look at gallo speakers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was in a simliar situation Bob and I JUST finished my setup (ok so i have a tiny bit left) last night. I purchased the following:

Pioneer SVX-1015TX A/V Receiver $350

Polk Audio RC85i (Front) $315

Polk Audio RC55i (Rear) $180

(no center yet)

Hsu VTF-3 MK2 (Sub) $699 (It's a big open room!)

Panasonic AE700u Projector $1800

Draper Salara/M 92" pull-down screen $350

Panasonic DVD-S77 DVD Player $200

I wasn't sure if your budget included any other pieces to a full HT setup, so I just included all of my stuff as a recommendation. Perhaps the sub is a little more than you need... it's more than I "need" but I went on impulse and bought it anyway. :)

I'm not an audiophile, but the Polk's sounded great to my girlfriend and I... just make sure you pad the area around the speakers with plenty of insulation. If I had more of a budget I might have gone with Triads, but now that I have these, I'm glad I didn't. They sound great to me and saving several hundred dollars is always nice.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the triads are probably a little out of the budget he was trying to stay within even for the Bronze series, especially seeing as the usage is pretty minimal. Infinity, Niles, or Klipsch may fit the bill though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
JBL makes the HTI series of in-walls that match the "Northridge" E series. They are also available with good discounts on the Internet, or Best Buy in person (not so discounted).

I was able to convince my wife that we could hid the E50 mains in a cabinet, and C35 center. The E50 seems very similar to the E60, with an 8" woofer that should give decent bass, if that is what you are looking for. That way also is more flexible if we decide to upgrade in the future, using only the surrounds in the wall where the wiring needs to be hidden anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.