AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which I'm not all that unopposed to for looks. I have two possible placements for an IB but I'm not sure either will work. I can go directly over HT even with the mains but at 12' up. The ceiling slopes from 9'-20' room is 17' x 17' and open to kitchen below furr(sp?) down at 7.5'. Or I have a dead space under the stair case almost even with the couch on the right hand side. The dead space under the stairs is 3 feet wide, 7 feet long, and goes from 1 foot to 5 feet high. I'm having problems with calculating the Qs to see if that is big enough. I can make an opening from the dead space to the master closet for more air movement. Will it be a problem to have a sub 4 feet over and 2-3 feet in front of my right ear?

My other thought is subs built to be in-wall. Anyone have experience and/or suggestions for these?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
If you have true 16" centered studs, and you don't do infinite baffle (which would be infinitely baffling :)) the NHT Evo U2 subs will JUST squeeze between studs into a closet firing out. It gives you 1/2" to do a little trim work and has outboard amplification so you don't need power handy.

Having the subs not near a floor or wall corner actually helps the clarity and helps prevent boominess.

I'm sure Paul from Triad has a few in-wall sub suggestions :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Just my 2 pennies here, but one of the extra benefits that I saw going with my NHT T5 (has a single 12" sub in each pedastal; T6's have dual 12" subs in each pedastal) fronts setup was the monitors attached to the top of the subs, so it really just looks like a regular floorstanding tower speaker. I'm not sure if you're looking to replace your speakers, but they provide excellent sound and the bass is outstanding on both movies and music. I'm just throwing out some ideas here. It's nice not having a big a$$ box in the way.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
The IB manifold even with the front mains but 12' up sounds like the best alternative. That's a pretty common placement for IB manifolds, and should sound terrific. The stairwell would probably work as long as the crossover point is fairly low, but there could be unexpected phase or timing problems.

Building traditional box subs into the walls would work, but if you're going to do the work, why not go the IB route?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks-

John A.- I have considered putting the sub I own in the dead space under the stairs and putting grille cloth and some trim work over the hole. But, I'm trying to use the opportunity to upgrade to IB. :)

rosconey- I knew that site existed and couldn't remember what it was.

DJ JV- I'm quite pleased with my Ascend 170s but if(when) I'm ready to upgrade Mr. Ashman makes quite a case for putting NHTs on my listening list.

Bigus- So forward firing(not down firing) from 12' up won't be a problem? I'm feeling a need for two 12" woofs and an amp coming on.:D

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Several people have installed IB's with the manifold in the ceiling or very high up on a wall. Seems to be a popular placement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.