Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to HTPCs and have two questions (two I will bother you with that is):

1. I read about some people using a Toshiba PDA with WiFi to control a HTPC. What pocket pc remote control software utilizes Wireless LAN ? Could this also be used to control X10 modules for lamps ? Macros ?

2. I will keep my computer away in a "technical room", and only want the screen, speakers, remote control and an external dvd-rom in the living room. Could somebody recommend a slimline external dvd-rom (perhaps originally for a laptop) ?

3. Is there a program for the PC that can handle the X10 computer module, running apropriate video/audio software, remote control signals and has a nice graphical user interface ?

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Registered
276 Posts
 Here is a link

Next time, try the search button. It will save you tons of time. I did a slow search on "PDA Remote" and a few threads popped up that would have helped.

:)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'll be doing the same thing.

Do a search on HouseBot and Girder. The HouseBot will do what you want and they are setting up a bridge between it and Girder. The HTPC will be the server and the PDA will be the remote client.

I too am interested in the Slimline DVD player...whatever that is. I need an external DVD player so recommendations are appreciated.

I'm almost thinking I should skip th PDA remote thing and go for a cool RF keyboard/mouse combo like the Gyration(sp?).

·
Registered
246 Posts
For the DVD, do a search in this forum for 'external DVD enclsoure'. There are a couple of threads about using external USB 2.0 or firewire enclosures.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acheslow
For the DVD, do a search in this forum for 'external DVD enclsoure'. There are a couple of threads about using external USB 2.0 or firewire enclosures.
Where did you get this from? Did you actually do a search yourself and get links to legit threads?

I did a search with the following phrases:

usb AND external AND dvd

usb AND dvd

usb dvd

usb external dvd

external dvd

dvd AND enclosure

external dvd

dvd enclosure

firewire dvd

external DVD enclosure

You know what I got as a listing? THIS THREAD!!!! :mad:

When I told him to do a search on 'HouseBot' I know there are at least 5 threads out there which are recent with that as the MAIN TOPIC since I've responded to them all.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi bohtho,

HouseBot is really cool, but that requires a WinCE PDA.

MisterHouse.com can control X10 and many other things by voice command. I am going to try to it. You should look into that too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aleet2600
Hi bohtho,

HouseBot is really cool, but that requires a WinCE PDA.

MisterHouse.com can control X10 and many other things by voice command. I am going to try to it. You should look into that too.
You could configure HouseBot to handle all of the X10, IR, automation, etc. You can then run the Software Remotes (clients) on any Windows machine, including the HouseBot server itself.

Scott

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acheslow
Not sure why you had a problem with the search. I did a search for 'external DVD enclosure' and got a listing of 21 threads. Among them:
Ahhhhhhh.... Thank you very much! I don't know why the search didn't bring these up either. I tried it again exactly as you did, but only 7 results and not related. Either way, much appreciated!

·
Registered
126 Posts
In regards to the extrenal Firewire, I have a similar setup.

My DVD is in an extrernal Firewire box (slavaged fomr an older Sony CD-RW) wooked to my HTPC via a 15' cable. This way the HTPC is tucked out of sight in an equipment closet. The setup works well, although I have had problems with DVDIdle using this setup.

As for the Wifi remote, check out NetRemote on this forum.

-Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.