AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does anybody know much about the wifi remotes that are out.

the ones i know of are

regulars:

Acoustic Research ARRU449

tvCompass espnremote

exotics:

nevo s70

marantz rc9001

phillips pronto(s)

my setup is pretty minimal, just a tv, dvd, amp, x10 lights (ir-543 on the way), dish 722 dvr. i imagine any of these remotes can control these just like any other remote by loading pre defined devices or by learning sequences from existing remotes.

my blue sky idea is that you could browse a tv guide via wifi and set it to record a show from the info on a remote's guide. i dont know if the dish dvr has an ir-api for this sort of thing so maybe a sequence/maco is possible to drop in a vcr+ code or soemthing. if necessary, i could aggregate my guide data to a locally hosted website at my house and browse that from the remote. i believe directTV has the ability to record shows from an online account. i'm sure some form of automated user agent could be written to do this and as long as the remote can view/submit the page.

more blue sky ideas:

some of the other ideas like having the remote act as a digital picture frame wile docked seemed really cool.

Or being able to play shared media off 802.X networks. i'm used to the tacky ipod hooked to some rca's for party music, however i was thinking it would be nice to have a device that can browse a playlist and queue songs or video. youtube on the tv is always a party hit as well.

what about a sleep timer on the lights? e.g. something that will shut the lights off in 5 min after you walk out of the room. or power up the tv when it sees that room's x10/whatever light-on command.

i am a software developer and write a fair bit of embedded code. the phrase "easy to program" usually leaves a bad taste in my mouth that rhymes with "our UI is newly dumbed down so grandma can do it all while pruning away the abilities advanced users seek". i could be very wrong about this, but have always wanted more than what came stock on amplifier remotes. is there such a thing as a remote with a development environment?

i'm shopping for my first aftermarket (not from amp) universal remote. i'm not a big fan of the tablets, bec i prefer to use a remote primarily without the need to look at it so i'm partial to the kind with buttons.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pronto fan boy here, there are people currently working on a TV guide script, the picture frame script is out there and there are several music interface programs out there also. I recommend you take a look on remotecentral.com. The Pronto script language is based on Javascript so if you have background in this language you should be able to write your own apps. The remotes are pretty remarkable for their cost, I have four myself that I use to control my home. I have apps to interface with my movies, music, iradio, TCPIP control of my Denon receiver, RS-232 control of my Sony projector and even a weather module in case I want to know how cold it's gonna be tomorrow. Hope that helps a little.

Tom

·
Registered
258 Posts
I havent done a search, but I havent seen anything big about this on the forum just yet..

http://www.airremote.com/index.php?page=0

Im in no way suggesting it, as I dont own a iTouch or iPhone, but it did catch my eye as a very interesting application. Possibly something to look into.

For those who use servers and require an mouse to access the interface there, check out this..

http://www.touchpadpro.com/

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnbysound /forum/post/15556859

I havent done a search, but I havent seen anything big about this on the forum just yet..

http://www.airremote.com/index.php?page=0

Im in no way suggesting it, as I dont own a iTouch or iPhone, but it did catch my eye as a very interesting application. Possibly something to look into.

For those who use servers and require an mouse to access the interface there, check out this..

http://www.touchpadpro.com/

The AirRemote may be a cool product, but you haven't heard much about it because it doesn't exist. Vapor Ware.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just want to chime in that I love my Pronto TSU9400. Used to have a Logitech 880 and this thing is infinitley better, though it does take more time to get setup. FYI you dont have to know Java to program the remote

1 - 7 of 7 Posts