AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, quick question for you guys. What is the general consensus for WIFI settings for the Wii? I mean, do you guys keep it on or do you only turn it on when you need to go online?

I remember reading some folks complained their Wiis got very warm when leaving WiFi on while the overall system was off or some such thing.

???

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/19575653

Hey, quick question for you guys. What is the general consensus for WIFI settings for the Wii? I mean, do you guys keep it on or do you only turn it on when you need to go online?

I remember reading some folks complained their Wiis got very warm when leaving WiFi on while the overall system was off or some such thing.

???

I leave it on... that way the glowing blue "update fairies" bring me new downloads & features overnight...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/19576170

Off. I almost never play online so there's no need to risk overheating my Wii in standby mode.

Good enough for me. I'll have to show my wife how to turn on the WiFi so that Netflix works for her.

I'm not big on wear and tear for nothing.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you don't have to turn on WiFi every time you want to go online. It's been a while since I played with the settings, but just enable wireless and turn WiiConnect24 off (or it may be turning off standby mode altogether). When you power down the Wii, it'll have a red light instead of a yellow, but you should be able to go online whenever you power it back on.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Mongo is correct - Standby (WiiConnect24) just keeps WiFi active 24-7. When you "turn off" the Wii, WiiConnect24 keeps the WiFi bit connected - this gives you semi constant updates to the news & weather apps as well as the flashing blue slot light kicking on as soon as a message is delivered.

Turning WiiConnect24 off just shuts off WiFi when you power down (red light). Once you turn the Wii back on, you'll be able to connect.

Right now, I actually leave WiiConnect on & use a little Wii USB cooling fan that stays on when in standby mode (and has 2 USB ports coming off of it, so no loss of USB w/ the fan installed). Keeps things pretty cool when the Connect is on all the time.

Really comes down to if you want your Wii to tell you w/ the blue slot light if you have a msg waiting - or if you really have to have the news/weather apps updates before you turn it on.

WiFI does generate heat in the Wii & apparently sits close to one of it's graphics chips - too much heat is often to blame for some of Wii's weird "pixel" problems on some games.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/19577130

Mongo is correct - Standby (WiiConnect24) just keeps WiFi active 24-7. When you "turn off" the Wii, WiiConnect24 keeps the WiFi bit connected - this gives you semi constant updates to the news & weather apps as well as the flashing blue slot light kicking on as soon as a message is delivered.

Turning WiiConnect24 off just shuts off WiFi when you power down (red light). Once you turn the Wii back on, you'll be able to connect.

Right now, I actually leave WiiConnect on & use a little Wii USB cooling fan that stays on when in standby mode (and has 2 USB ports coming off of it, so no loss of USB w/ the fan installed). Keeps things pretty cool when the Connect is on all the time.

Really comes down to if you want your Wii to tell you w/ the blue slot light if you have a msg waiting - or if you really have to have the news/weather apps updates before you turn it on.

WiFI does generate heat in the Wii & apparently sits close to one of it's graphics chips - too much heat is often to blame for some of Wii's weird "pixel" problems on some games.

Thanks for the clarification !!!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
If you want to keep the Wii connected online al the time, a aftermarket cooling fan might be a good thing to have. When the Wii is actually on, it's own internal fan keeps things reasonably cool around the WiFi portion - but the internal fan shuts down when in standby mode. WiFi portion will stay on & get fairly warm.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it installed, updated the firmware, set StandBy to Off. Very nice - thanks for the help guys.

Its weird that the weather app refuses wo work w/ Standby Off, but that's just a small thing. Kinda silly but small. My Wifi otherwise behaves like I want it to - its off when the Wii is off and its available when the Wii is on. On Friday I'll link Netflix up w/ it and give that a whirl.

Thanks again !

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/19580480

Got it installed, updated the firmware, set StandBy to Off. Very nice - thanks for the help guys.

Its weird that the weather app refuses wo work w/ Standby Off, but that's just a small thing. Kinda silly but small. My Wifi otherwise behaves like I want it to - its off when the Wii is off and its available when the Wii is on. On Friday I'll link Netflix up w/ it and give that a whirl.

Thanks again !

With Connect24 off, the news/weather Channels will not update - and if you try to access them, they will actually turn Connect24 on prior to updating the info.

Not a huge deal though - not like you do not have other sources for news/forecasts around you.

Despite the lack of HD support, the Netflix Wii app is pretty good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.