AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im using a sharp aquos LC-32D62U that i just got yesterday and I was plenty excited to hook up my wii to it with official nintendo component cables to see how sharp it would be.

Turns out the picture is worse than when i had it on a SD CRT. The jagged lines are horrible and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have it set to 480p and 16:9 on the wii, but I don't know if there's something else I'm not doing. I did my research and it turns out many are having the same problem, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I'm new to this stuff, so any suggestions please?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's just the standard procedure of sharpening low-resolution content on a larger display. It brings out the pixelation. I personally don't mind it, but if it bothers you that much you may just want to stick to your CRT for Wii use.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have issues with the jaggies too, on a 50' Sony SXRD. I've been told it's just part of the package because there is no anti-aliasing in the games. Side scrollers like paper mario are fine but 3d like the golf game on wii sports is awful.

Still, the fun factor makes me forget the graphic lapses but I really wonder how much harder it would have been to design the Wii to look a bit better on HD displays. oh well.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
It's just the general problem of HDTV's having crappy scalers, you're essentially trying to take a 640x480 image, triple the number of pixels and stretch it to fit a wider picture all at the same time.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmi! /forum/post/0

after toying with it, i just keep it on 4:3 instead of 16:9. it looks better. is this something that a firmware update could fix?

No but it's something the game developers could fix. Most Wii games (as far as I know) aren't actually 16:9, instead they're 4:3 and when you select widescreen all you're doing is stretching that 4:3 image to 16:9. If developers developed their games to be true widescreen (like RE4 is going to be) then it would look better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn't do anything to fiddle with it. It might just be that your tolerance for jaggies and what not is a little low.

When you set the Wii to 16x9, are you setting your TV to stretch the picture?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoooon /forum/post/0

I didn't do anything to fiddle with it. It might just be that your tolerance for jaggies and what not is a little low.

When you set the Wii to 16x9, are you setting your TV to stretch the picture?

im using smart stretch because thats all that i have. theres no 1:1 pixel maping or anything because its just component not hdmi or anything. If i use standard then the tv goes to 4:3 but with the wii set to 16:9 so it looks distorted. so i have to stretch it some, but i think its supposed to be on this smart stretch setting.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmi! /forum/post/0

Im using a sharp aquos LC-32D62U that i just got yesterday and I was plenty excited to hook up my wii to it with official nintendo component cables to see how sharp it would be.

Turns out the picture is worse than when i had it on a SD CRT. The jagged lines are horrible and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have it set to 480p and 16:9 on the wii, but I don't know if there's something else I'm not doing. I did my research and it turns out many are having the same problem, but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I'm new to this stuff, so any suggestions please?

You're doing nothing wrong. Nintendo is. If you have the money, pick up a PS3 or 360. You'll be amazed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's the eternal struggle of graphics over gameplay. I agree that the 360 and PS3 ambush and beat the Wii to a bloody mess on the graphics front, but when it comes to pure fun gameplay and originality, I'd go with the Wii. Different moods, different systems. To use a cliche, variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch /forum/post/0

No but it's something the game developers could fix. Most Wii games (as far as I know) aren't actually 16:9, instead they're 4:3 and when you select widescreen all you're doing is stretching that 4:3 image to 16:9. If developers developed their games to be true widescreen (like RE4 is going to be) then it would look better.

You can't have "true" widescreen at 480p - the resolution just doesn't exist. You can only have "anamorphic" widescreen, which is when the TV stretches the picture.

This is a hardware issue, not software - the devs can't do anything about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.