AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing Twilight Princess and I noticed that the audio would clip and distort at times. At first, I thought the game had some poor quality audio samples. However, I actually looked at my Pioneer Elite receiver and saw an "over" indicator light-up when the audio distorts. This indicates that the Wii's volume output is too high. I am using the receiver's audio attenuator function to fix this issue.

Anyway, is there a way to lower the Wii's internal volume output? If not, does anyone else have this problem with their console?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also having the same problem, I've been searching google for a fix and this is the only thing that it pulled up related to the wii menu sound distortion. everyone else is complaining about the static noise from the wii on standby...

when I start up the wii and get on the channels screen. I get a slightly distorted sound when selecting any of the channels (ex: game, mii, weather, news, and photo) the only thing that is ok, is only during gameplay and playing music through my SD card.

at first I thought it might be the cable that the wii came with (composite) then upgraded to the s-video, but no luck. the sound is still distored... the tv that the wii is currently hooked up to only has those 2 connections but I'm planning on connecting it to another tv in the house with component connections and see if that solves this annoying problem. I know its not going to destroy any of the audio I have hooked up but it gets annoying, I always have to turn it down then raise the volume up when I'm in and playing a game.

good to see I'm not the only one having this problem, I thought it was just my wii hehe...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm pretty sure that my Wii did make some strange static noises when switching between channels and returning to the main menu when I got it. But one of the firmare updates that I did seemed to clear it up. I even checked last night, and my audio is crystal clear playing games and on the menus. I'm not even running the rca's directly into me receiver either, they go into my tv first and then through my tv's audio out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting- In my case the distortion/clipping only occurs with the component cable I just bought (MadCatz). You it is most notable in the 'chime' ambient sound one hears at the main menu screen. I'll give the attenuators a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/0

If you search the other threads, you will see discussion of using two in-line RCA signal attenuators on the left and right audio channels. I believe folks were recommending using around 3 decibels of attenuation.

thanks slordak, great tip!

judge_dredd yeah I haven't updated my wii firmware yet. since I don't have wifi yet, just hardline RJ45 (cat5) ethernet lines. hopefully by next week that will all change.

bongoherbert I have that same problem, tried all 3 types of cables (nintendo wii composite, s-video, component) hopefully the rca signal attenuators help and/or updating my wii firmware "should" fix this...?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello everyone.

Nintendo seemed to have fixed the issue via firmware update. When I heard the audio distortion, I didn't have internet connectivity for the Wii. After updating the Wii and playing around 20 more hours of Zelda with my receiver's analog audio attenuator turned off, I didn't hear any audio distortion whatsoever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmm- I have the latest firmware (according to the update preferences) so I don't think that is totally the problem in my case. Im going to do a little debugging later. I have it connected directly to the TV, and perhaps (who would know why) the audio inputs are different for the component input side than they are on the composite side. I'll switch the audio to check. Also, I'll run it through my preamp/switcher (Outlaw) and see if there is any satisfaction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, connecting the audio through the Outlaw instead of directly to the TV solved the distortion problems. I have a strange feeling there is something 'up' with the line-inputs on my TV associated with the component inputs. It doesn't distort when going through the s-video/composite associated inputs.

So- all is well in Wii land.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Wooo hoo, the firmware update seems to have fixed my excessive Bass issue on the Wii menu. Dang, the updates are really slow. They must be huge or something is wrong with their network.

Hopefully, it fixes the audio distortion issue as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
update...

so far, I've finally updated my firmware and no luck... went to radioshack to look for the rca signal attenuators (3db) but they don't carry them. so I'm still stuck with the same problem lol. will continue my hunt for the rca signal attenuators.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
While it's possible that this may be able to be fixed by a future firmware update, it's also possible this is an actual feature/flaw of the hardware, in terms of outputting non-line level audio. I agree that this is not fixed by the current firmware; any reports of this being fixed were either not the same root problem or anecdotal.

Instead, it can be addressed by:

1) Using a receiver or TV which has auto-level adjustment, where it automatically attenuates sources deemed to be outputting at too high a level.

2) Using a receiver which allows manual attenuation of individual inputs, and setting this to apply to the input to which the Wii is connected.

3) Attenuating the signal coming out of the Wii, either using a powered signal processor of some sort or a passive device (such as in-line attenuators).

In any case, when you're thinking "Jeez, the Wii sure sounds loud at this same volume level compared to (x)!", it's not just in your head; the Wii really is sending out a signal which is louder than it should be.

·
Registered
618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi roku /forum/post/0

update...

so far, I've finally updated my firmware and no luck... went to radioshack to look for the rca signal attenuators (3db) but they don't carry them. so I'm still stuck with the same problem lol. will continue my hunt for the rca signal attenuators.

Well that saved me a trip. Hit me up with a PM or a mention in this thread if you find them anywhere else that isn't online. Walmart doesn't have them FYI.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful /forum/post/0

Well that saved me a trip. Hit me up with a PM or a mention in this thread if you find them anywhere else that isn't online. Walmart doesn't have them FYI.

yeah I stopped by walmart earlier today a few hours earlier from the time stamped on your post
I'm thinking about checking fry's electronics, comp usa, or best buy.

slordak, good call on the receiver. if all else fails, I plan to go that route. just need to make space on my entertainment stand. I think I have an old tacky receiver collecting dust somewhere in the storage room lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think the people still having problems (even after most recent update) should have their units looked at. I don't think it is normal. Rather then trying to find a solution with attenuators, have Nintendo deal with it. They are offering a one year warranty, I would use it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.