AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past week or so, my Wii has had patches of little black, flickering dots, usually apperaing in a vertical line. I called Nintendo tech support, they recommended checking my TV settings, and moving the Wii farther away from the TV, because the Wii has a big magnet in it.

I took pictures and a video of the problem, but Nintendo can't receive pictures or video (of course not, that would make too much sense). So anyway, she said that if it's not solved by either of those steps, I need to send it back. Here's a link to the video (it's around 12 meg):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl2ekARHpkk

If anyone knows of this issue with any other possible solutions, please let me know. Otherwise, no Wii for me for a few weeks.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
179 Posts
Very well known issue, seen many many cases of this. The GPU is damaged, and the only fix is to send it back to Nintendo to get a replacement. Nintendo has been fixing/replacing Wii's with this problem for free, so the only downside is being Wii-less for a week or two. The cause of the damage is the subject of much debate, though the most popular theory seems to be that the Wii simply gets too hot in WiiConnect24 standby mode, and the GPU cooks unless you have a lot of ventilation and/or pretty cool room temperature around the Wii.

Be sure and make it clear to them that you want your Mii's and VC games transfered to the new system!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gig..I looked around the Nintendo forums, and found that as you said, this is a fairly common problem. I will be sure that they transfer the Mii's and VC games, thanks for the tip. Can I transfer that info to my memory card?

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 /forum/post/0

Thanks Gig..I looked around the Nintendo forums, and found that as you said, this is a fairly common problem. I will be sure that they transfer the Mii's and VC games, thanks for the tip. Can I transfer that info to my memory card?

The Mii's and game save files will work I think, but the VC's have encryption on them that's tied to your particular console code, no other Wii can decrypt and play them. Have to have Nintendo take care of those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there -

I also had the problem with my Wii having lines and distortion across the screen; it started about 4 inches from the top and bottom of a 42" LCD Toshiba screen and would scroll from the bottom up. I sent my Wii back to Nintendo within the warranty period and they replaced the entire circuit board and the disc reading mechanisms, even though, they weren't able to recreate the same issue at their repair center... After getting my Wii back, I plugged and played and the same problem persisted... I had switched out cables and tried it on our other two LCD TVs, with the same problem... Finally, I bought new power supplies direct from Nintendo and that resolved the problem. It seems that some third party power supplies may go out or be inconsistent with Nintendo authorized products, which may cause problems over time. The entire issue was with our Nyko power supply that had gone bad within a year of purchase. After replacing that power supply, I had no more issues with the displays on any of our LCD TVs. If you are having display issues with your Wii, whether it be lines or a loss of picture altogether, I strongly suggest that you replace your power supply through NIntendo direct, and then see if the problem persists. That fixed the issue for us.

By the way - Nintendo really goes above and beyond to save your data when they do a repair. You WILL have to re-download any downloaded - purchased software to the console if they've replaced the motherboard and changed your serial number; however, there is no additional cost for doing so. They transfer your old serial # to the new in their database, so it is a minor hassle. I had over $600 of downloaded games to re-download, but after learning the issue was simply with my power supply, it was more than worth the hassle of re-downloading.

Good luck.

AW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.