AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 32 month old son is pretty coordinated (he can occasionally hit a plastic baseball when I pitch it to him), so I'm wondering if there are any Wii games that might be appropriate for him. I have Wii Sports and Wii Play but I really don't think any of those minigames he could handle.

Any others that you guys suggest?

·
Registered
136 Posts
You might want to try Wii Bowling, I was very surprised to see a 2-year old getting some pins, and a 3-year old bowling a consistent 180ish. Their dad would help set them up by moving them to the side and stuff, but they got the motion down easily enough. That's the only game they had a really easy time with.

I could probably guarantee Carnival Games would be easy enough too. Most of the games are controller movement, and it's easy enough to squirt water in a clown's mouth, or toss a coin. Very few button movements, but you might have to help set them up and such. I can't think of a game they'd be able to play all by themselves.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought of bowling, but you're right that might be a possibility. I think he may have trouble coordinating the trigger release on that though.

Carnival Games is another good suggestion and is generally a little cheaper than the typical $49 price tag for Wii games if I am remembering correctly.

I was just thinking that similar to how there are games for the computer that consist of not much more than just moving the mouse around, I figured there might be something like that for the Wii as well.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that he is already fanatical about Star Wars (must be in the genes) so I was wondering if the Lego Star Wars game had any minigames that might be simple enough for the very young.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Go Diego Go: Safari Rescue

Endless Oceans

The Lego games he might be able to "play" along with you, but not by himself.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible_buddhis /forum/post/14192597

do you really WANT a toddler playing video games?

I mean...that's less time YOU get to

Point taken, but trust me, the only time I get to play is after his bedtime anyway.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithos /forum/post/14192676

Go Diego Go: Safari Rescue

Endless Oceans

Awesome, I knew about Endless Oceans but I'll check out Diego too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithos /forum/post/14192676

The Lego games he might be able to "play" along with you, but not by himself.

I guess the game is 2 player co-op then? Cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 4yo likes Boxing on Wii Sports. There are no buttons to push so that makes it easy. For some reason she also really likes the jogging game for the Fit. All it is is running in place, but she loves it. Course she is a very active child...

Oh I forgot the best one, Mario Kart! She's really gotten the hang of it and can actually get first place on some of the 50cc cups. If yours is coordinated I would definitely recommend that one...

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq /forum/post/14196439

Awesome, I knew about Endless Oceans but I'll check out Diego too.

Yeah, I am waiting to see the Diego game on clearance to pick it up to play with my 2 year old. He is currently addicted to Dora and Diego, so I know he would be into it.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
The cow racing in Wii Play is a big hit with my kids, they probably enjoy it more than Mario Kart.

Best part is - they actually will jump when the cows need to jump, instead of just simulating a jump with the controller.

Boxing, bowling and tennis on Wii Sports all work quite well too.

The Cars game 'maternational' is too hard, imho, harder for my son than playing Lego Star Wars with me.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot all about the cow racing on Wii Play. He might be able to handle that. The fishing game is simple but I think it would be a little bit beyond him.

I'm getting Mario Kart anyway, so I'll let him have a go at that one.

I'd like to wait to see if the Lego Star Wars gets reduced, but I'm reading that Wii games aren't being reduced for the most part...

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus /forum/post/14208094

Why not, I dunno, go outside with your kid? Show him the wider world out there.

Some days you are closed off in your basement for hours due to tornados and thunderstorms. Good thing my kid's toys are mostly in the basement or this would even worse.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:

This is a Nintendo forum and specifically a Wii thread. So, I dunno, we talk about Wii stuff here.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:

You do know it is possible to do both right?

Not to mention that you can use the Wii as a replacement for time spent with the TV, rather than a replacement for time spent outside.

ps. Anyone pick blackberries with your kids? We did that just this past weekend in our yard (yes we live in BFE and have lots of 'natural area' in our yard). We had a blast, reminded me of doing the same thing with my cousins almost 30 years ago. Wife did end up picking up a little poison ivy, so if you do this be sure to watch what you are reaching into.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush /forum/post/14213620

ps. Anyone pick blackberries with your kids? We did that just this past weekend in our yard (yes we live in BFE and have lots of 'natural area' in our yard). We had a blast, reminded me of doing the same thing with my cousins almost 30 years ago. Wife did end up picking up a little poison ivy, so if you do this be sure to watch what you are reaching into.

Funny you should mention this...

I just went and picked some this past weekend. My son is too young for this right now, but I will certainly introduce him to it when he gets older.

Considering all the hazards involved (briars, poison ivy/oka, snakes, etc), you do have to be prepared though. I always wear long pants and carry a big stick with me. The stick is good for rustling around in a thick area to warn off any snakes, plus it's handy for moving the briar canes around for a better look.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
.... and the stick is also handy to beat the kids when the fall out of line

(and no I don't hit my kids, but with a 2 and 4 year old sometimes I wish :p)

My two year old loves the Diego Game! He is also starting to get the hand of Mario Kart.

The 4 Year old can play almost anything. So far he quite enjoys Excite Truck which is much better than Monster Trux Offroad or Arena which he finds pretty boring. Pretty much any game is a hit with him as we only play for 1/2 a day at the end of the day after they have cleaned up all their toys around the house and outside.

Yes their is surprisingly enough time in the day for kids to play video games and watch tv in moderation while also playing outside.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP /forum/post/14442237

Yes their is surprisingly enough time in the day for kids to play video games and watch tv in moderation while also playing outside.

I'm impressed to hear your 2 year old plays Mario Kart.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts