AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://kotaku.com/5025707/dead-risingfor-the-wii

If you don't have an Xbox 360 and never checked out this game, you have to do yourself a huge favor and get this for the Wii when it comes out. Its one of the most underrated games this generation. Its a whole lotta fun and coupled with the wii controls would probably enhance the zombie wacking experience.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Looking forward to this. Gotta love zombie-killing.

Educate a noob, though.....is DEAD RISING an "on rails" game (like HOUSE OF THE DEAD/RE:Umbrella) or "open" like RE4?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
We're already talking about this in the E3 thread, but I suppose any significant development for the Wii at E3 practically deserves its own thread.

jwebb, it's open. In terms of that, it's closer to GTA than RE4, at least from what little I played.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/14302405

We're already talking about this in the E3 thread, but I suppose any significant development for the Wii at E3 practically deserves its own thread.

jwebb, it's open. In terms of that, it's closer to GTA than RE4, at least from what little I played.

Settled then. I will be buying this one! Rails games get old fast for me. Borrowed HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2/3 from a relative. Fun for a while, but would rather have to explore an area as opposed to the constant same thing every time. Same w/ RE:Umbrella, which I rented. Another relative has RE4 & I dug that when I played it, but have yet to buy it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This game is very open. You are basically trapped in a mall and you have 72 hours to rescue as many people as you can. Along the way you can change costumes, pick up different weapons, take pictures w/ your camera, fight bosses, develope creative ways to kill zombies, etc.. It is not very linear, you basically have the given time to do as much as possible. It took me 2 playthroughs to actually fight all the bosses. Given that, there are also multiple endings as to how you played the game.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/14302486

This game is very open. You are basically trapped in a mall and you have 72 hours to rescue as many people as you can. Along the way you can change costumes, pick up different weapons, take pictures w/ your camera, fight bosses, develope creative ways to kill zombies, etc.. It is not very linear, you basically have the given time to do as much as possible. It took me 2 playthroughs to actually fight all the bosses. Given that, there are also multiple endings as to how you played the game.

That sounds like my kind of zombie-killing fun. Can't wait! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Also you need to be at specific places at specific times to even see some objectives, from what I can understand. That's one of people's problems with it, besides the save system.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I really wish they were making either a spin off game, prequel, interim game between Dead Rising and Dead rising 2 or just a straight up sequel. I've already played Dead Rising to death.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/14302955

Also you need to be at specific places at specific times to even see some objectives, from what I can understand. That's one of people's problems with it, besides the save system.

Yes, you do. The game runs on a clock and you have to achieve objectives within the specified time limit. If you miss out on a story mission (called "cases"), it will not continue but the game will still let you play out the 72 hours. It is quite easy to miss a case and screw your game up. But again, that is not a problem with the game.

This is not like GTA where you can **** around for 10 hours, do a mission, then **** around some more. And then if you do that enough you get 100% and win. Dead Rising requires patience, practice, concentration, skill, and planning to do well at. It is most definitely possible to do a 100% run (all cases, all survivors, etc.) but it is very difficult.

It's a very old school, hardcore game like that. People wanted GTA with zombies. To appease the mouth breathers Capcom should have offered a sandbox mode that just dropped you in the mall and let you mess around at your leisure. The core game as is is definitely unorthodox but extremely well designed.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/14303166

Yes, you do. The game runs on a clock and you have to achieve objectives within the specified time limit. If you miss out on a story mission (called "cases"), it will not continue but the game will still let you play out the 72 hours. It is quite easy to miss a case and screw your game up. But again, that is not a problem with the game.

This is not like GTA where you can **** around for 10 hours, do a mission, then **** around some more. And then if you do that enough you get 100% and win. Dead Rising requires patience, practice, concentration, skill, and planning to do well at. It is most definitely possible to do a 100% run (all cases, all survivors, etc.) but it is very difficult.

It's a very old school, hardcore game like that. People wanted GTA with zombies. To appease the mouth breathers Capcom should have offered a sandbox mode that just dropped you in the mall and let you mess around at your leisure. The core game as is is definitely unorthodox but extremely well designed.

Yeah. I don't necessarily have a problem with it... I've only played the demo on XBL and it was pretty fun, but I already have a ton of games to beat.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Looks like a *lot* fewer zombies as well, but I"m actually impressed they were able to do what they did. It could also be screenshots from very early in the game when those areas didn't have quite so many zombies. Seeing the courtyard or especially the underground tunnels will show off what they were able to do with the engine on the Wii.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
So I don't know if you've read the article that the photo page links to, but there's some changes. Apparently no photography in the Wii version, because of how they've changed the controls (its a very RE4 type control scheme).

Also, this version will be "less time-sensitive". http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168849

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, after checking out the screen shots I'm not so excited anymore. It looks terrible compared to the Xbox 360. I know it can't look as good but man, those screen shots are awful.

Also there also seems to be alot of changes to the gameplay, making it alot more linear as the above link suggests.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn /forum/post/14323254

Wow, after checking out the screen shots I'm not so excited anymore. It looks terrible compared to the Xbox 360. I know it can't look as good but man, those screen shots are awful.

Also there also seems to be alot of changes to the gameplay, making it alot more linear as the above link suggests.

Well for those who might be turned off by the time-sensitive stuff, it might be a good purchase, but I'd guess that if you have a 360 you're probably better off with that version, depending on how well the melee combat motion detection is implemented. I'll definitely wait for reviews myself, having never played more than the 360 demo of it, though I probably won't get it no matter how good it is because of lack of having time for more new games when I already am behind on quite a few.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The time sensitive stuff is what elevated it from being just another mediocre game. The core gameplay while decent is certainly nothing special. If you aren't playing the game like it's Groundhog Day, then you aren't going to enjoy it much.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
G4TV.com posted the Dead Rising Wii details (apparently called Dead Rising:Chop 'Til You Drop.....seriously)

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/ind...=687314#687314

Here's some of the details (well...all the pertinent ones, actually):

*Utilizes the same engine as Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.

*New level of interaction - aim and fire guns, swing and throw weapons and shake off zombie attacks with added Wii Remote functionality.

*Huge environment - expansive indoor and outdoor areas of the mall provide a variety of different locations to explore.

*Improved save functionality allows for more seamless gameplay. (likely the best change)

*Hoards of enemies on screen at once resulting in non-stop, pulse-pounding action.

*Anything in the mall is at Frank’s disposal.

*Grab environmental objects like umbrellas and benches to use as improvised weapons.

*Snatch items from different stores to use as weapons including golf clubs, lawnmowers, frying pans and more.

*Consume food and drink to revive health.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts