AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if the sensor bar connector is proprietary to Nintendo? I want to acquire one so that I can just splice it, connect to a power source and connect that to the sensor bar without touching the sensor bar's cable.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I was thinking of doing this also...but it sure does seem like a proprietary connector.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero /forum/post/0

I assume you could use a voltmeter on the leads and see what each pin is there for (i assume it'd be just power and ground). From there you would have a build something yourself for it to plug in to.

I was hoping to see if I could find the connector (I believe "male") with the wire on it, strip and splice a power adapter to it. I don't need it to be "wireless" - I need to have the sensor bar underneath my projector screen, since the Wii will be in another room.

I don't necessarily want to fabricate the connector itself...just what comes after it

I might have to do what this guy did. Looks simple nuff

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabhsalf /forum/post/0

But the Wii motes are primarily RF (BT, whatever), are you sure you will still get a satisfactry signal with the Wii in another room?

Just completed this (see here ). Everything works well!! The Wii-motes work without issue.

It's amazing what an old low volt power adapter and a match-stick will do

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've modified the sensor bar in two Wii "installations". In my own home, the sensor bar needed to be routed further than the cable would reach, and it had to go through a tightly packed conduit. For this, I cut the wire to the sensor bar and put a male 1/8" plug on the sensor bar side, and a 1/8" socket on the Wii side. Then I built what is essentially an extension cable out of CAT5 that was already running in the conduit to carry IR signals (on another pair in the bundle).

The KEY to making extension cables is to realize that the strands of copper wire in the sensor bar's wire are NOT bare copper. Each of these tiny strands is insulated with a thin coating, very similar to the wire used to wrap electric motor armatures. When you strip the wire and you find what looks like bare copper, lay it out on a work bench and very gently rub over them (in one direction only) with fine sand paper to remove this coating. THEN you can solder to it with conventional wire.

In the second installation, I was putting in a custom projector screen and built a custom "sensor bar" directly into the frame of the screen. This was built using 2 high output IR (infrared) LEDs from radio shack (part number 276-143). These were connected in series and routed through Cat5 to a neighboring wiring closet which housed all of the equipment feeding this room. The LEDs were then powered off of a 5V DC adapter with a suitably sized ceramic (10 watt rating) resistor in series. The resistor was sized to put 100mA through the diodes. I don't remember the exact size.. but if anything in this paragraph makes sense to you it should be easy to figure out. If it doesn't... don't play with electricity

-Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.