AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that there are a lot of things that you're "supposed" to be able to do in Wii Sports that I cant figure out. I found information about Sports to be sporatic. So I wanted to make a post with all the tips and tricks in one location. Please post you're tricks and I will update the master post.

Tennis Tips and Tricks:

To put spin on the ball, flick your wrist up and out as you contact it.

Flick counterclockwise for a top spin, clockwise for a backspin

If you hit the tennis ball at the peak of the serve, it will go much faster

Hitting the ball early as it comes at you will send it inward

Hitting the ball later will make it go straight, later makes it go outside

Baseball:

When pitching, press the 1 (or maybe 2) button to throw sidearm

?Swinging with a upward angle may help hit it higher, down may hit grounders?

Bowling:

To put a spin on the ball, rotate the Wiimote as you release the ball.

If you release the ball late, it will not spin as much

The slower you bowl, the more it will spin

If you move all the way to one side then turn away from your pins you can bowl in the neighbors lane.

Also in the 91 pin throw, you'll notice that the blue bumpers line up with the red lights at the back of the lane. When your turn starts turn your bowler 2 clicks to the outside of your hook (righties turn two clicks right, lefties to clicks left) and then slide your bowler all the way to that side until you can't go anymore. You should be aiming into the barrier. Do a fairly typical release, although if you have a strong hook try to reduce it. Release the ball at the absolute end of the throwing arc so it flies in the air.

If done properly your ball will land on top of the rail, and your hook should keep it from sliding off the outside, if it makes it all the way to the end without falling off and hits the red light, and "bomb" goes off that knocks down all 91 pins in a heart-shape, netting you 182 pins with the x2 bonus

Golf:

To be filled

Boxing:

Keep it smooth, watch your Mii so you're not trying to throw punches when you're already half way through a punch, and duck and weave as required

A Critical Dodge is when you dodge an opponent's punch at the last second. Upon a successful Critical Dodge, the screen will slow down into a matrix style sequence and you have the abilty to counter attack the opponent for "massive damage." The heavier a punch your opponent throws, the easier if becomes to Critical Dodge it. It's not likely that you'll be able to Crit Dodge a jab, even if your timing is great. The computer just won't let it happen

Also see Post #24 below for a very detailed explanation of boxing

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wish there was instructions for the games, something to at least tell you what all moves were possible. For instance, I think you are supposed to be able to spin the ball in bowling, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how, but then again, it might not be possible.

It would be great if there was a game or app that would let you see what the Wii thinks you are doing with the Wii mote. So that you could confirm that it is seeing the motions you think you are making....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you rotate on the back swing, fore swing, or at the top of the swing? How much rotation is neccessary?

I tried rotating all three ways, and even to completely upside down, and saw no changes. Does the Wii read rotation off of the IR, so maybe if you're not pointing straight at the screen on release it wont work? thats the only thing I can think of. I'll try that tonight.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabhsalf /forum/post/0

Do you rotate on the back swing, fore swing, or at the top of the swing?.

Rotate when you release the ball.

Note that in this context "rotate" refers to twisting the remote as if it were a screwdriver. You are not waving the remove in the air as if it were a flag.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
For bowling, I usually just hold the remote in the 'spun'/twisted position the whole way through.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I do it on the foreward swing and, as someone's stated, like a screwdriver. I don't know how it works internally; if it works holding the remote in the "spun" position, it might just be a positional thing, like rotating the onscreen cursor in the Wii menu.

Cush

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Also for bowling if you press the A button, it brings up curvy lines instead of the normal left/right lines. Is that dealing with spin also?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/0

Also for bowling if you press the A button, it brings up curvy lines instead of the normal left/right lines. Is that dealing with spin also?

No, that is just part of the direction, so you dont have to throw the ball straight.

Should I put that in the top post? seems a little rudamentary, and it tells you how to do it in the game. I think I should keep it just to undocumented(or under) features. Thanks though.

As for spin, I did have some success last night, but it was sporadic at best....

Also, I noticed if you flick your wrist up and out when hitting the tennis ball, you can put spin on it as well. Can someone confirm this for me?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Tennis is just like real tennis. For a right hander, you flick your wrist counterclockwise (forward) for a forehand topspin, and clockwise (again forward) for a backhand topspin.

You can also slice to put backspin on the ball, which can sometimes have a dramatic effect on where it lands and how it bounces. Just reverse the above for a slice.

I just can't really figure out how to consistantly lob the ball.

Baseball hitting is absolutely baffling to me though, maybe someone can help there.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Thanks, but how do you hit into the outfield? Is it the speed of the swing? It doesn't look like it matters how fast you swing, the avatar seems to swing at the same speed every time.

Batting is the most frustrating thing I've found so far on this console.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis /forum/post/0

For bowling, I usually just hold the remote in the 'spun'/twisted position the whole way through.

I do the same. I think spinning at the end of the swing will add less spin; also releasing earlier will create more spin (when the remote is twisted) and vise versa.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabhsalf /forum/post/0

As for spin, I did have some success last night, but it was sporadic at best....

I find that the spin in bowling is pretty consistent. Twist your wrist like a screwdriver as others have said. The other important thing to know is that the ball will curve more if you throw it slower just like it does in real bowling. If you throw it too fast, the ball will have spin on it, but it won't start hooking until it's at the far end of the lane.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Also, when you release matters on the amount of spin. If you release late (so the ball flies through the air, and doesn't land until 1/3 of the way down the lane) the ball will curve less.

This seems very realistic to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver02 /forum/post/0

I find that the spin in bowling is pretty consistent. Twist your wrist like a screwdriver as others have said. The other important thing to know is that the ball will curve more if you throw it slower just like it does in real bowling. If you throw it too fast, the ball will have spin on it, but it won't start hooking until it's at the far end of the lane.

I also agree, the spin in bowling is by far the most accurate and consistent. Right a right hander, you can spin the ball from left to right as well, by rotating the remote clockwise as you are letting go of B. My fiance bowls like this in real life, and in wii bowling, and does it quite well!

If you're having trouble with spinning the ball in bowling, do the wii bowling training (the icon is the dumb bell on the main sports page). I think the spin challenge is the 2nd bowling one, it'll make you spin the ball, and rotate/move around the lane.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
A=Screwball

B=Curveball

A+B=Splitter (you can sometimes fail this, ! will show up over pitchers head)

Tapping any of the D-pad (+) will aim the pitch...more taps, more travel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.