AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slightly off topic for us here, but Sony released some video and shots of their new "Move" motion controller and games during yesterday's presentation at GDC - all works in progress, but THIS is how they enter into the motion control arena? Wow... I might have to take back everything I've said about Reggie recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony US /forum/post/0

"We clearly want to speak to the 34 million people who already own a Playstation 3, then I think we offer a great opportunity to graduate from the Wii to the Playstation 3"

Move, which resembles a TV remote with a colorful ball stuck on the end, will be available as part of a package this fall for less than $100, Sony said at a media event on Wednesday.

The company said 36 third-party developers and publishers are supporting the Move platform. In fiscal 2010, Sony will release more than 20 games that are dedicated to or supported by the system.

Video here:
http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/15e79e42

Nice wrist strap...

The Shoot

Sports Champions - a collection of sports-based games including archery, table tennis and medieval dueling with sword and shield

Move Party - a collection of multiplayer games

Dukes - a bare knuckles fighting game

TV Superstars - a collection of five TV game shows (looks like the Eye camera allows you to put yourself in the game, kinda nifty)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I wonder how the fanboys are going to take seeing Wii-style minigames/casual-ware.

Will they be more accepted in hi-def?

If nothing else, btwn the 2 systems jumping into motion controls - Sony's is far and away looking like a straight up Wii ripoff - I mean, I see the controls & wonder - new Nyko Wii stuff? And you have pretty HD copies of a generic on rails shooter (HOTD w/ robots?), a pseudo-photorealistic Wii Sports Resort (SONY SPORTS RESORT, maybe?), a fighting/boxing game that I imagine controls much like PunchOut!! does w/ Wiimote/'chuk controls & a new twist on the EyeToy being used w/....well, let's face it....a freaking MINIGAME collection.

Not sure the "hardcore" will bite - and also think the majority of the "casual" gamers/soccer moms/grandmas/etc - you know, the cliched "Wii market"? Guess there may be a dozen of so out there w/o a Wii already.

Now if they perhaps utilize this setup for something like - a COD game (COD may not be as pretty on Wii, but Wiimote/'chuk controls simply smoke dual analog for FPS stuff) - maybe the 'core crowd might get behind it.

But overall, my intial impression is that this stinks of shameless imitation. We'll see how it goes. Nintendo should be flattered, though. And maybe a Ninty patent lawyer should be on speed-dial.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/18292167

I wonder how the fanboys are going to take seeing Wii-style minigames/casual-ware.

This sentence is basically implying that fanboys are rational and consistent, they are neither. Nor are they relevant. In any case, if something is on the PS3, they'll like it!

Quote:

Not sure the "hardcore" will bite - and also think the majority of the "casual" gamers/soccer moms/grandmas/etc - you know, the cliched "Wii market"? Guess there may be a dozen of so out there w/o a Wii already.

Sony would be derelict in their duties if they did not make a major effort to go after this market. Whether it will succeed or not, I don't know. Probably not at $300.

Quote:

Now if they perhaps utilize this setup for something like - a COD game (COD may not be as pretty on Wii, but Wiimote/'chuk controls simply smoke dual analog for FPS stuff) - maybe the 'core crowd might get behind it.

Sony is incidentally making a big push on this. SOCOM 4 was the first game revealed for it. Resident Evil 5 is already confirmed for it. It's likely there will be more (Resistance 3), you might see old games with support added on (LBP I think), and all the big publishers are on board so I wouldn't be surprised to see Call of Duty 7 and Medal of Honor with native support.

Quote:

But overall, my intial impression is that this stinks of shameless imitation. We'll see how it goes. Nintendo should be flattered, though. And maybe a Ninty patent lawyer should be on speed-dial.

Sony for the past 15 years has shown they have absolutely no problem with taking competitors' best ideas and using them.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18292332

Sony for the past 15 years has shown they have absolutely no problem with taking competitors' best ideas and using them.

Absolutely. But between the controler design and launch game, this is a new level of "MEEEE TTOO!!!1!" for Sony.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Yea that is pretty blatant, lol. I won't be getting that, that's for sure.

Still if Sony can get 3rd parties on board, and get them to make "hardcore" games of the sort that don't sell on Wii, it can be pretty cool.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still stoked about 3D - say what you will, but I love it and can't wait for 3D content to arrive, especially games. I'd LOVE to play Wii in 3D, something like dodgeball for sports lovers, but just the thought of playing HOTD 3D is like a unicorn crapping a rainbow in my brain...

Sadly, I think Xbox is gonna get there first and steal the show... between Natal implementing real-time movement tracking and the full power of Microsft pushing NUI (Natural User Interface) tech, they have a distinct advantage if 3D takes off. That could be pretty awesome, REALLY ducking and melee attacking in a FPS... damn.

Here's a blurb from USA Today with a similar thought:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ui-computing/1

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Unlike Sony, who is heavily pushing 3D (they have TVs to sell, of course), Microsoft seems to be pretty anti-3D in general though, honestly. They think even this time around that it won't catch on.

Quote:
We support 3D today-we're a fully compatible 3D console, and I think it's just a matter of developers wanting to make 3D games and consumers wanting to bring 3D into their homes. I think it's unclear how much demand there is for that.
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/...-achievements/

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
As someone who never got the appeal of most of Nintendos IP's PSMove has me intrigued. Yes, a lot of the games may be unabashed rip-offs of Nintendo titles, but if they look that good in motion and control well, then I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will be more than happy to dump their Wii's if they can get the same experience in hi-def.

Speaking from personal experience, if Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) offered solid, good looking, good controlling equivalents to Wii the games I now have (basically Wii Sports, Dead Space: Extraction and Tiger Woods Golf) then I'd have to think long and hard about whether the Wii deserved a spot in my entertainment system as the only first party title I still own that I ever cared for is Metroid Prime Trilogy, and its a tough sell to hold onto a system (any system) for just one game, especially as I haven't bought a Wii title in months.

The fanboys may balk but this could impact sales to the average consumer and hardcore gamers.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Smart or not it's still annoying that SOny always copies Nintendo before succeeding at anything. They copied the analog stick, rumble, and now this. You'd think they would have at least made it less obvious of a copy rather than even having a wrist strap, pretty much same size as wii, and an accessory like the nunchuk. lol

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/18293761

As someone who never got the appeal of most of Nintendos IP's PSMove has me intrigued.

Of course, there are just a few people out there who are pretty big fans of the Nintendo IPs. What I see is possibly those with Wiis adding PS3 to the menu, but will still need the Wii (and it's eventual HD & just maybe semi BW-compatible successor) around to get their Mario/Zelda/Metroid fix.

I've always maintained that if I were to get a 2nd console this gen, it'd be a PS3. Had I not already had a great BD player when they dropped to $299, I'd be posting right now about how soon I could get my paws on this Move stuff?

Not sure yet if it's gonna fly w/ the more hardcore, dual analog-preferring crowd. But you never know...

Gotta add - although bordering on semi-creepy, the adding of players faces in that TV Superstars game is rather nifty. Makes one's 360 avatar look like...well....a Mii!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Eh. Every time Sony pulls something like this, it reminds me how crap they are as a company and makes me want to Craigslist my PS3 out of spite. It's actually almost admirable, in a bizarre sort of way, how they're not even trying to hide that this is a blatant ripoff. On the other hand, it's business and they'd be stupid not to pursue this. I don't expect this to gain much of a foothold this gen; more than likely this is just practice for the next round of systems, when the real motion-control war will start.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Yeah, Mongo, they even compared it to the Wii when tlaking about this. lol Instead of hide it they're just like yeah here's our copy of the Wii. lol

I dunno. It's just really annoying that instead of come up with their own idea and maybe add in this type of thing more behind the scenes, they actually make their BIG change be a copying.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
In the end it doesn't matter. If Sony does it better (as they clearly did with analog sticks and rumble*), that's all people will care about.

Right now I don't know how the Wii clone games will be, but I do think if Sony can leverage their third party relations, they can get some really great games with great Move support and, unlike the Wii, they will have a willing audience that is known to buy those games. That's a big advantage.

*why are you Nintendo fanboys still whining about that? It was like 13 years ago!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Honestly, I just don't think that the casual gamer will care at all. Those people already have a Wii, and those that don't have one aren't going to buy a PS3 where they didn't have a Wii before. In other words, the people who are mostly buying this aren't going to be new console owners, they're going to be people who already have the PS3. Why would someone who doesn't care about gaming that much, spend the extra on a PS3 and a "under $100" peripheral, when they can get the Wii for cheaper?

Also, despite all the work that Microsoft and Sony have done to fight against it, the 360 and PS3 just seem like intimidating machines to the casual gamer populace, and adding a new peripheral won't change that.

And while the PS3 does have Blu-ray working for it, I really don't think anyone cares about that either. While of course, on AVSforum, we can all immediately see the benefit of HD, people in general don't care. (I always look to the example of my parents for this. Despite having a 60" 1080p HDTV, they watch in SD, stretched to fill the screen, because then they don't have to remember new channel numbers in the 800s). Convenience is what matters to people, not quality; they're moving to lesser quality video with downloadable stuff, just because it's more convenient. So I don't really think Blu-ray is a factor in the decision either.

I just don't see it making as big a dent as Sony thinks that it will.

As for the points above about the analog stick and rumble, I don't care that the other companies copied them, I'm glad for that. My issue with that assertion is that Sony did it better- I can't stand the PS controllers.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
This will all be worth it if Move-users start dominating multiplayer FPS games on the PS3 and people finally can no longer argue that dual-analog is the best control scheme for shooters.

Also if the PS3 gets flooded with on-rail shooter installments of new/popular Wii franchises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18295962

If Sony does it better (as they clearly did with analog sticks and rumble*)

I won't accept this statement unless they switch the placement of the left analog and the d-pad finally. Why would you put what is sure to be the primary control method in the secondary position?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/18296163

I just don't see it making as big a dent as Sony thinks that it will.

The question is, what type of dent do you think Sony thinks it will make?

I know people have this idea of the Sony and MS systems as being forged in some dark dungeon, only accessible to people so hardcore they eat NES carts for breakfast, but that's just not the case. For example, Sony has had reliable sellers in "casual" stuff like Buzz, SingStar, and Eye___ for many years. There's no reason to think they can't get that audience behind the Move.

In fact, the only thing I would say for certain that is definitely holding it back at the moment is the price. $300 is still a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/18296558

I won't accept this statement unless they switch the placement of the left analog and the d-pad finally. Why would you put what is sure to be the primary control method in the secondary position?

I've been using that damn controller since, again, 1997 and never really put more than 10 seconds into this.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Of course people buy casual games for the 360 and PS3, but most people who buy those systems are buying it for the more hardcore games. If they buy the casual games, in general, it's in addition to the hardcore games.

My point is, almost nobody buys a 360 or PS3 because they only want to play casual games, like they do with the Wii. These motion control options are a clear shot at what is perceived to be Nintendo's biggest market, the non-gamer, who sees the game on Oprah or something and goes out and buys it. The problem is, that person already has a Wii, and chances are, they're not going to buy another system.

And just to do a quick comparison of casual gaming, look at Sonic All-Star Racing. It came out two weeks ago, and has sold 70,000 copies on the Wii, and 40,000 on the PS3 and 40,000 on the 360. In other words, despite having a clearly superior option in Mario Kart Wii (coming from someone who's played both), there were enough casual users out there on the Wii to almost double the sales of the other consoles. That's what MS and Sony are trying to change this time around, but I think it's already too late to catch up there. I tried to find an even better example of a multiplatform / equivalent casual game, but there just aren't any good ones. The ones you mentioned don't have a counterpart on the Wii.

Honestly though, and not just because my second console is a 360, I'm much more interested in Natal than Move. Natal is at least an interesting new take on things. Move is just Sony making an almost direct replica.

·
Registered
875 Posts
So what'd you think of Sega Racers? Is it a total Mario Kart clone?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow /forum/post/18297746

So what'd you think of Sega Racers? Is it a total Mario Kart clone?

Yes, every part of it is a ripoff of Mario Kart. It's a good clone, but it's still a clone.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.