AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling for weeks to get my kids Wii to connect to the internet.

I've got Verizon FIOS with the Actiontec MI424WR Fios router. I've got three laptops and an Xbox 360 all connecting merrily using WPA security. I did recently have to upgrade the Actiontec firmware to get make the Xbox 360 happy but I still can't get the Wii to connect consistently.

I've tried channels 1 and 11 on the router which made no difference.

Prior to upgrading the Actiontec firmware I got a successful connection from the Wii maybe once or twice. One time it did download the Wii software update successfully.

Since upgrading the Actiontec, I get a successful connection test every time but still can't get past the Accept User Agreements screen on Wiiconnect24. The Wii just locks up prior to being able to press "Accept" on that screen.

What should I try next?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Can I assume you cannot just buy the USB>ethernet adapter and run the Wii wired?

I would suggest turning off any security on the router, and see if you can connect then, it will start ruling things out, as you've already changed the channels on the router.

Where is the accept user agreements screen on wiiconenct24? Wiiconnect just allows it to always be connected to the internet, even in standby...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Is WPA security the one with the 64 digit key? If so, the Wii will only allow a 63 digit key I believe. I think I ran into this same issue when I had one.

-Brad

·
Registered
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad /forum/post/12886968

Is WPA security the one with the 64 digit key? If so, the Wii will only allow a 63 digit key I believe. I think I ran into this same issue when I had one.

-Brad

According to this page, WPA is possible. bmwhd, check out this link for more information, but I still suggest disabling the security to see if its the problem.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...uterWEPWPA.jsp

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad /forum/post/12886968

If so, the Wii will only allow a 63 digit key I believe. I think I ran into this same issue when I had one.

Same here. Since the Wii doesn't accept any more than 63 characters, I had to change my key and update all the devices on my network.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine would not connect with the original firmware to my WPA network. It does however work fine with more recent firmwares. To get a newer firmware, simply rent or buy a game that comes with a firmware update on disk. I believe Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galaxy have firmware updates on them. Galaxy would have the more recent one. All you have to do is put the game in the Wii and select it for play, and it'll prompt about needing to update the firmware.

I didn't think you even could have more than 63 characters in a WPA passphrase...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, it's weird. Before getting the Wii, I was using a 64-character key on my PSP, laptops, and cell phones/PDA's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My WPA pass phrase isn't near 63 characters so I don't think that's the problem.

Since updating my FIOS router's firmware, I get a successful connection test result 100% of the time.

Prior to that I would get Error 52132 about 80% of the time when running the connection test.

The Wii successfully checks for system updates and declares there are none required.

I just can't get past the "Accept User Agreements" screen.

The Hand cursor disappears when this screen comes up. The only button on the Wii remote that will respond at all is the Home button but all that does is get the Home icon with the diagonal red line through it indicating that button is not allowed.

Other symptoms of this lock up: Disk access stops (the disk spins down) and none of the buttons on the Wii console will respond. A hard power cycle is the only option.

Are there specific ports that need to be open for the Wii?

FWIW, Xbox 360 sitting right next to the Wii works fine with the same wireless router.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No ports need to be forwarded for wiiconnect24. I have no idea what the issue is with not being able to click the agree button, but it's almost certainly not related to your wireless setup.

Are you sure that you can't scroll the EULA down with the D-pad on the wiimote? Often times, EULA's won't allow you to click accept until you've scrolled over the entire document.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all.

FWIW, I don't even ever see the EULA text, just the screen asking if I want to see it.

I'll call Nintendo support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts