AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hitachi 42" plasma, which has the separate AV box. I recently moved the monitor into my living room (it normally is in the bedroom) for a viewing party, using Hitachi's extended (33') AV cable (from the box to the monitor).

A few weeks ago, I had some circuit breakers kick off, both in the living room and in the bedroom. What I found was that my Monster HT Surge Protector was squealing. Turns out it was completely blown. It since has been sent back to Monster.

I then discovered that both the monitor had a fuse-type capacitor or something blown but, more importantly, the AV box was blown.

In over 30 years living here, I've never had a power surge shut things down. None of my other equipment (computer or AV receiver/CD/Tape), which all are on surge protectors, were kicked off.

Is it possible that something in AV box blew out and somehow blew out its surge protector, kind of a surge going the other way???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmmm It's a complicated question. How good is your wiring? What about your neighborhood? Since you've lived there 30 years the wiring is at least 1970, probably earlier?

With a 33 foot cable and (possibly) poor grounding and possibly different phases on each circuit there are many possibilities for this sitation that would not arise for your computers.

You also need to be careful with surge protectors. They are a bit like crash helmets - if one gets a big hit you throw it away. This is certainly true of lower cost units - just because they helped you through (say) a lightning surge does not mean they will work well in the future.

Did you run audio from the bedroom to the living room? Any sign of hum or popping on the audio?

Surge protectors usually try to limit the voltage swing between each side of the circuit so will usually work in each direction (not always - depends on the design principle). The box would have to store some huge amount of energy which is unlikely.

Thats all I can think of. In future, try to keep all your gear on the same circuit and check your grounds (a.c out of the wall can be chacked with a simple tester from Home Depot or any hardware store). Also check your cable grounds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wiring is 1970 as I added the new section to the house at that time, and that is where the protector was.

The 33 foot cable is from the AV controller box to the monitor but does not carry power. I have the monitor plugged in in the living room. I do have audio running from the bedroom room to the living room using optical cable. Zero hum or popping.

I will check the grounds. Sure Radio Shack has a testor.

Many thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.