AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my roomates plasma tv to myself for the weekend and I've been calibrating it all day. It's an edtv and I can't find the model number right now but it's not that recent, he overpaid at circuit city about 1.300 I think.

Anyway on all the inputs there seems to be a very annoying error in the coloring and brightness on some scenes, it's a clustered shimmering in the picture that is always some light shade of green. Seems to be linked to areas of brightness in contrast to darkness but I'm not sure...any help is much appriciated!

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
The first thing you need to establish is whether its the display or the signal.

If it only happens on certain channels, then its likely not the display.

If it happens on all channels, then it can be the display or the cable/satellite signal.

If you have another TV that you can put next to it and monitor the same channel, it might help narrow down the problem. If the second TV doesn't exhibit the same color/brightness problems, then its the Samsung. If both show the same problems, then you know its the signal.

By the way, are you sure that its a plasma and not a flat panel LCD?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yea I'm sure, never seen a 42" lcd with glass for the front and that traditional direct view scanline quality of the pixels...

I will elaborate, with dvds-->component out I get it, with vesa/rgb pc---> I get it and standard cable I get it. Don't really notice it on the dtv channels (of which we only get 3 now) but I also notice a huge amount of color banding...That could be either a symptom or cause of the problem maybe? As in that green stuff is just how the set is representing a very narrow out of gamut color group. Do these tv types usually have color gamut issues this serious? I'll play a game like hl2 on it and see very obvious steps in shades instead of a nice subtle gradient, this happens as well on the other inputs.

Compared to my viewsonic lcd, the plasma seems brighter but the lcd monitor is vastly superior for conistency of the image quality.

I've calibrated it on my pc with the gamma tuners etc, helps the overall color accuracy but nothing else. Maybe this is a processing error or something, there doesn't seem to be many controls to affect it though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.