AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 865 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't check it out yet... but heres the wnep website update

May 14 - We finally completed the installation of WNEP-DT on Wednesday May 8th. Now we enter the "testing" phase. Last night we got our first pictures on the air with two channels of video, 49-1 and 49-2. There were a few pixelization and sound problems that we are currently working on.

As we continue our testing, you may notice some glitches. If you do, please let us know. Just e-mail [email protected] .

For the next several months our digital transmitter will operate only during Prime-Time and other big events. And it will operate at low power (city-grade). It is simply too expensive to operate all day long and at high power with so few people actually able to get the signal. We don't know for sure just how far from our transmitter this low-power signal will be available. We're guessing if you live more than say 10 or 20 miles from the transmitter, you may not see anything. So far we have had people in Hanover Twp., Trucksville, and Avoca get our signal.

If you already have a digital TV receiver, you can help by e-mailing us and telling us exactly where you are located, what time you saw our broadcast, what type of equipment you were using, and how it looked. We will use this information to publish a "coverage map". Just e-mail [email protected] . Our digital signal will be on channel 49.

Our first digital broadcasts will be in standard definition. Basically we will digitize our current signal and broadcast that. We won't be able to broadcast ABC Prime-Time Programming in high definition until our satellite receivers are retrofit to pick up those signals from ABC. The engineers from ABC are scheduled to be here to do this in late May. It will take several days to install this upgrade and a few more to test it. We hope to begin HDTV transmissions sometime in June.

As with the rest of this digital transition, each phase requires additional equipment and expense, so we are slowly phasing in the whole HDTV experience. We thank you for your feedback and your patience.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You're gonna think I'm crazy, but...

Last night, in Reading, PA (about 75 air miles SSW from the tower), I received WNEP-DT with a solid 80-90% signal strength. There was no apparent multipath problems but a great deal of digital breakup and audio dropout. Since the signal is so solid, I'm assuming that the breakup is due to processing at the station while they undergo testing and alignment.

Equipment:

Dish Network Model 6000 receiver

Channel Master CM4248 Yagi, mounted ~ 30' above ground

Winegard AP4800 28db UHF amplifier.

Interestingly, I also receive WVIA-DT with an even stronger signal. It's almost like I have a pipe to NE PA. I've received WVIA consistently for almost a year, so I'm pretty certain that it's not some odd atmospheric condition that's helping the reception.

Did anyone else receive WNEP last night, and did you experience any breakup? I'd like to be sure that the problem was their processing and not reception difficulty. Does anyone know if they're running at reduced or full power during the testing? Their website doesn't specify this.

I reported the reception to WNEP; I'll report if I get a reply.

·
Registered
80 Posts
drbaldinger,

I'm in Rahway, NJ and I have the same setup as you,

minus the amplifier.

I am wondering if I would be able to receive this station.

Where abouts are you?

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
164 Posts
wnep is broadcasting at low power levels during primetime only

i looked last night and i was only receiving a very low signal with lots of breakup, while WVIA-DT was coming in great...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Baldinger/Moss-

Are you guys pointing your antenna in the same direction as WVIA? I'm intrigued by the reception carrying all the way to Reading- this makes me feel much more optimistic (I'm about 50 miles from Scranton as the crow flies)

I'm getting 80-100% on WVIA, and I get an excellent picture on WNEP analog, but I'm getting no evidence of WNEP-DT either last night or tonight.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Paul,

My antenna is pointing in the same direction as WVIA. I can actually improve the signal by about 5% if I move the antenna about three degrees north of WVIA's setting, but with the strong signal that I have now it just wasn't worth the effort of moving the antenna each time I switch channels. I am also getting excellent reception of their analog signal.

Yesterday afternoon, Wednesday, 1711 hrs., I had a rock-solid 88% signal with color bars and tone and the 16 DTV logo on subchannel 1. There was only slight, occasional pixellization...nice and clean compared to Tuesday, when there was a lot of breakup. They must have done some adjustments to their encoder.

The folks at WNEP are pretty intrigued by my reception, too. I got an e-mail from their webmaster asking for details about my setup because they found my reception "unbelievable". They thought that I must have a huge antenna on a tall tower to be able to receive them but, as the equipment list in my previous post demonstrates, my setup is pretty ordinary.

Good luck with your attempt to receive WNEP; I hope that you're able to get it working. I know how you feel since this is the first time that I'm able to get an ABC affiliate - I can't get anything but KYW out of Philadelphia.

Please feel free to PM me if you want further information.

Dave

·
Registered
164 Posts
i'll have to take another look at WNEP-DT's signal tonight.

I'm surprised your getting it down in reading. I'm alot closer then that to the tower but not receiving a decent signal. maybe some of the adjustments they made will help me.... i'm only about 12 miles away... but i'm up on the mountain, probably the same elevation as the tower so maybe that part of my problems.... but i doubt it because WVIA-DT comes in strong....

question: my hughes E86 is mapping WVIA-DT as channel 80-3 what about everyone else who is able to receive WVIA-DT... whats your channel mapping too??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, 80-3 on Dish 6000.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Paul,

Check channel 49 on your ANALOG receiver and see if you can see NJN. They have a repeater in Hackettstown, but it's not always on. This could hose some people in NW NJ.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
On my DST-3000 WVIA maps to 80-3.

Thanks for the tip on the Hackettstown repeater for NJN, but I get nothing on channel 49- I'm 2 miles away from Hackettstown, so you'd think rabbit ears would work- but nothing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Guys-

Is WNEP-DT mapping to 16-1 or elsewhere?

·
Registered
104 Posts
WNEP-DT is mapping to 49-1 on my Dish 6000.

90% signal tonight in Reading, with no artifacts.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh well, I guess I'm out of luck until they loosen the purse strings and increase power. I tried at about the same time that drbaldinger was getting 90%, and the best I could do was 10%.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here's the latest:

August 2 - WNEP is pleased to announce that we are now broadcasting our digital TV signal at full power! This means if you were not able to get our digital signal before, you may be able to get it now. While we were at low power, most of our digital viewers were in either Lackawanna or Luzerne counties. This increase in power should make our digital signal available to much more of our viewing area. So we are again asking for reception reports, especially from areas outside Lackawanna and Luzerne counties. If you can get our digital signal, please let us know where you are located and what type of receiver and what type of antenna (i.e. rabbit ears, roof-mounted, signal amplifier, etc) you are using. Just e-mail [email protected] .

We are still trying to get some equipment installed that will allow us to broadcast Dolby 5.1 audio. Hopefully we will install it in the next week or so.

Any word on WYOU or WBRE?

·
Registered
433 Posts
The latest:

August 15 - We have two improvements to your viewing experience to announce. 1) Dolby Digital 5.1 audio is now available. 2) We have increased the sharpness of our standard-definition video.

We are still waiting on reception reports from outside Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties. Doesn't anyone out there have a digital receiver? So we want to try something different. If you have a receiver and CAN'T get our signal, we'd like to know. Please let us know where you are located and what type of receiver and what type of antenna (i.e. rabbit ears, roof-mounted, signal amplifier, etc) you are using. Just e-mail [email protected] . We might have some ideas that will help you get our signal.

I also emailed them to check on the status of other local stations. It looks like, but not confirmed, that the rest of the locals will be doing the bare minimum. The smallest antennas possible, and probably only a digital version of the current signal. It doesn't look good. As for Adelphia carrying HDTV, keep dreaming. Maybe in 2-3 years we will see that. It's not looking good for NEPA and HDTV.

Jeff

·
Registered
164 Posts
this is a copy of the email I sent WNEP after watching the monday night football game on 9/9. the webmaster, mark sowers, took my email and added his comments to the end of each point.

a day after this responce he emailed me to tell me the engineers fixed the lip synch problem...

David,

1. The sound seemed delayed slightly throughout the broadcast. The lips were moving slightly ahead of voices. It was really bad but it was noticeable, not just by me but others watching the show. I'll let our engineers know.

2. Did you increase you power in the last few weeks. I was previously having problems receiving your signal but after trying again in the last week, I found I had no problem picking your DTV signal up! I was glad to find that out!! Yes we did. We are now at full power. :)

3. The Monday Night Football game last night was broadcast on 16-1 with the black side bars. After reading your website's page on the WNEP-DT technical details I found:

"Channel 16-1: Channel 16-1 is now all widescreen (16:9), all the time. Some shows are in High Definition and some are not. Those that are in HDTV will be in 720p format. Any ABC shows not in HDTV (like "20/20") will be in 480p widescreen (16:9) format. All WNEP or syndicated shows (like Newswatch 16, Hollywood Squares, and Inside Edition) will not be in High Definition, but they will be upconverted from analog to the 720p format. These shows will have the black bars on the sides. Many prime-time commercials will be handled the same way. High-Definition and widescreen programming will only appear on 16-1."

this would indicate that last night for MNF you upconverted an analog signal to the 720p format. I enjoyed the image but I am curious if you are currently receiving the digital signal in 720p from ABC yet? I believe MNF is sent to us in 480p widescreen. ABC adds the black bars themselves. Imagine how much better it would look in High Def.

4. What shows from ABC are you showing in the 720p format that are NOT unconverted? What primetime shows from ABC will NOT have the black side bars? All SCRIPTED programs, like sit-coms and dramas, are in 720p High Def. Reality shows, news, or sports are in 480p.

5. I noticed you do have a transparent logo next to ABC's transparent logo. Thanks for making it transparent!!!! I did notice the standard opaque logo on 16-2, do you have any plans on changing this? It's not a big deal, most of my time watching will be on 16-1 but it is nice to have 16-2 there to catch up on the news at any time and not just at the standard times. I'll let our engineers know.

6. If I have any questions/problems during 16-1 broadcasting time, is there a phone number I can call to talk a live person? I've read a lot of horror stories, about stations "forgetting to flip the switch" regarding HDTV broadcasting. People calling up the station and informing them that the signal they are receiving is an upconvert and not the pass through from the network. For instance, if I would of called last night, would an engineer been able to "throw the switch" and then I could have had the widescreen version of MNF without the black side bars. You can call the newsroom, and they can transfer you to the engineer on duty. But I don't think you will have a problem. Our system is automated to take ABC's digital feed whenever it's available. We only up-convert when the digital feed is in black.

Mark Sowers

Webmaster

WNEP-TV

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I was thrilled to see the news about WNEP going full power, but I'm still only getting a 10% signal strength on their station. WVIA is a solid 100%, so I wonder if they're only full-power on a part-time basis, and I'm tuned in at the wrong time? (I tried at 10:45 PM on 9/12.)

21 - 40 of 865 Posts