AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am having a hell of an issue getting reception on my antenna for ota broadcasts. I converted to an all streaming hosuehold and put an antenna on my room for local hd feeds. I checked out anettaweb.org for the specifics are ar my channels go and I was happy to see that I live only 2.5 miles from the towers. Well, knowing I didn't need anything too big/fancy I ended up ordering a winegard 1080 and mounted that sucker on the old dish network post on my roof (porch roof, story and a half up). This worked out well other then I am having a ***** of a time getting my local cbs (and every now and then nbc {both vhf feeds}) the nbc work perfect most of the time but the cbs drops out "when if feels like it" most during Sunday NFL games (go figure!). I have tried reaming the damn thing fifteen times and sometimes a work for a bit then craps out (like today, we have especially bad weather though, didn't think that would affect me being 2 miles away). Not sure what else to do. As far as obstructions, I have a couple buildings kind in the way (skimming the roof with the Line of sight) and a power line transformer almost in line of sight. any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is my antenna web stats.

* yellow uhf WNEP-DT 16.1 ABC SCRANTON, PA 162° 2.8 miles RF Channel 50

* yellow vhf WBRE-DT 28.1 NBC WILKES-BARRE, PA 165° 2.7 miles RF Channel 11

* yellow uhf WOLF-DT 56.1 FOX HAZLETON, PA 160° 2.8 miles RF Channel 45

* yellow vhf WYOU-DT 22.1 CBS SCRANTON, PA 165° 2.7 miles RF Channel 13

* yellow uhf WVIA-DT 44.1 PBS SCRANTON, PA 163° 2.9 miles RF Channel 41

·
Super Moderator
18,727 Posts
Please put your location in the thread title where it's critical to the information you need. See my edit.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Won't forget next time dr. My mistake.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Please post a link to the TVFool results for your exact address. Your address will not display on the results page.

Antennaweb.org results are not as accurate.

If you're 2 miles from the transmitters and using an amp, that would be the first thing to get rid of.

·
Registered
22,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode /forum/post/19636295

I converted to an all streaming hosuehold and put an antenna on my room for local hd feeds.

The "all streaming" confuses me. What's between the antenna and TV? Is it a straight run of coax directly from the antenna to the TV?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/19636458

Please post a link to the TVFool results for your exact address. Your address will not display on the results page.

Antennaweb.org results are not as accurate.

If you're 2 miles from the transmitters and using an amp, that would be the first thing to get rid of.

Ya, no amp. Assume that would overload the signal.

Here is a link to tvfool results.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da320d0102a761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/19636477

The "all streaming" confuses me. What's between the antenna and TV? Is it a straight run of coax directly from the antenna to the TV?

Sorry for the confusion. All streaming as in I use a PS3 and HTPC for Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, etc.. for most of my content now, no cable or satellite. I have the winegard run directly via RG6 coaxial to the TV (guessing about 100ft run) for OTA stuff, then optical from the TV to the AVR, and all my other toys in the AVR.

·
Registered
22,654 Posts
As long as the you're certain the coax and connectors are good and the antenna is properly aimed, I'd suspect multipath interference from adjacent structures or EMI/RFI from the x-former.

Only other thing I can suggest is that it may be possible your signal is too strong. You can try a variable attenuator or even easier, just add a 2-way splitter to test. That will cut your signal by 3.5dB.

·
Super Moderator
18,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode
Won't forget next time dr. My mistake.
No harm no foul. Just helps you get what you need faster and helps searchers hit the right archived thread later.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
You really don't need an ourdoor antenna you coud probably due with putting it in the attic. As someone said a UHF lop with rabbit ears is probably enough. Also the winegard 1080 is kind of pricy. Considering people can make one for less than $5.

·
Registered
22,654 Posts
IMHO, an outdoor antenna is always best.

He already bought the antenna, had an existing mount, has the cable run and it seems like the best route. Let's try to figure out what he can do with his existing setup to alleviate the sporadic issues.

Question to the OP...

Are you in the flight path of a nearby airport?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Your TV signals are very strong and you likely have FM stations in the vicinity as well (see FMFool.com ). Strong harmonics from the FM can sometimes play hell with VHF reception.

Try an FM trap (or cheaper HLSJ ) and also a signal attenuator , as others have suggested. You may be able to reduce the signal down below the threshold of FM interference, but still high enough for a lock on the DTV signals.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode
I am having a ***** of a time getting my local cbs (and every now and then nbc {both vhf feeds})
The HD 1080 that you have has a reversed pattern for VHF. That means that it picks up channels 11 and 13 better off the back than the front. http://www.winegarddirect.com/pdf/hd-1080-spec.pdf Such a pattern is very prone to multipath.

Backwards VHF reception happens to work out well in Tampa and San Diego, but not Scranton.

The better choices would have been an HD-7694P, HBU-22 or ANT751.

Can you mount the antenna on the side of the house facing the towers in an attempt to block the reversed VHF reception?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the update delay, got a bit jammed up with x-mas stuff!

Appreciate all the help so far but I am still not getting a constant signal.

I can get every other channel perfectly but the wyou 22 ( RF Channel 13 ) I just cant get on the regular.

For example, After writing this post last weekend I did some re-aiming again that day for poops and giggles and she was dialed in fine till about 48 hours ago when she started to crap out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/19636617

As long as the you're certain the coax and connectors are good and the antenna is properly aimed, I'd suspect multipath interference from adjacent structures or EMI/RFI from the x-former.

Only other thing I can suggest is that it may be possible your signal is too strong. You can try a variable attenuator or even easier, just add a 2-way splitter to test. That will cut your signal by 3.5dB.

I tried a splitter and the antennae wiring and connections are secure is secure and the antennae did not move so I assume it has something do other then aiming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 /forum/post/19636979

You really don't need an ourdoor antenna you coud probably due with putting it in the attic. As someone said a UHF lop with rabbit ears is probably enough. Also the winegard 1080 is kind of pricy. Considering people can make one for less than $5.

Got the 1080 for less than 30 buck brand new shipped. Didn't seem like a price issue for me, would rather pay someone 30 bucks to build it rather then build it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/19637037

IMHO, an outdoor antenna is always best.

He already bought the antenna, had an existing mount, has the cable run and it seems like the best route. Let's try to figure out what he can do with his existing setup to alleviate the sporadic issues.

Question to the OP...

Are you in the flight path of a nearby airport?

I am about 10-15 miles from an airport, not sure if that puts me in the flight path or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/19637141

Your TV signals are very strong and you likely have FM stations in the vicinity as well (see FMFool.com ). Strong harmonics from the FM can sometimes play hell with VHF reception.

Try an FM trap (or cheaper HLSJ ) and also a signal attenuator , as others have suggested. You may be able to reduce the signal down below the threshold of FM interference, but still high enough for a lock on the DTV signals.

I'm gonna give this (the cheaper version) a whirl this weekend. I'll update with results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy /forum/post/19637594

The HD 1080 that you have has a reversed pattern for VHF. That means that it picks up channels 11 and 13 better off the back than the front. http://www.winegarddirect.com/pdf/hd-1080-spec.pdf Such a pattern is very prone to multipath.

Backwards VHF reception happens to work out well in Tampa and San Diego, but not Scranton.

The better choices would have been an HD-7694P, HBU-22 or ANT751.

Can you mount the antenna on the side of the house facing the towers in an attempt to block the reversed VHF reception?

I am renting so I want to try and stick to the existing mount for sake of drilling holes in the place. I am friends with the owner and she would have no issue with me doing so, but I want to exhaust my viable options before doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy /forum/post/19637021

You might try aiming the outdoor for ION & CW. I agree about exploring indoors for the rest.

Lets say I do decide to go indoor wit the main channels. And lets say I do aim the outdoor at ion/cw. How would I merge the indoor and outdoor feeds to the whole house? Would it be as simple as using a splitter in reverse? Not sure on this.

Also. Let me give you guys a layout of my "'end game". I have a 50 plasma in the living room, a 27 inch tube in the kitchen, and a 30 inch tube in the bedroom. The antennae is attached to a dish network mount and runs about 65 feet from the porch roof, down the side of the house, along the side of the house to and external two way splitter. One end feeds from the outside of the house around the front then up the side of the house to the bedroom and to a Digital converter box. The other end of the splitter feeds into the basement where it meets another splitter (about 20-30 feet from splitter to splitter) where it then splits to the plasma and kitchen digital converter box (both about 30 ft runs). This is my end game plan. I know i have to amplify the long fun to the bedroom, I think i should be fine with the TV room and kitchen. Now, with all that being said. I have, during this whole "one crappy channel" fiasco, have only had a straight run from the antenna to the plasma (even took an old tube tv and converter box close to the antennae to double check) and still get the "drop outs" on that one channel if only using a straight run to the plasma or a straight 10 ft run to the tube tv with the converter box. Damn, hope all that makes sense!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts