AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Here are my room dimensions: 238" L x 152" W x 85" H (19.83' L x 12.67' W x 7.08' H). I am intending to put a 103" viewable screen with a 2" border around on the short wall. The couch will be about 173" (14.42') from the screen. The love seat will be placed along the length of the room so as to form an L with the couch. (So love seat viewers will be closer to the screen, perhaps as close as 60"). This entertainment area will be part of a larger, L shaped area in the basement that has a games section and a galley bar. I've attached a sketch of the area to give an idea of how it is laid out.

The screen dimensions are 50.50" H x 89.75" W viewable area and 54.50" H x 93.75" W total area including the frame.

Do you think the 103" screen is too large for this configuration?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Do you already have your projector?

If so set up a couple chairs and project at different sizes to see what feels right to you.

Personally I think it would be ok..... my wife would say NO

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I am 11' screen to eyeballs on a 120" 16:9 screen and it continues to feel right. I did what waterboy suggested and projected onto the wall for a month before deciding on a screen size. You first impression is that it is big, but most folks seem to get over that quickly.

There are other considerations on your room. One is throw distance of the projector. Try to place the projector such that you are not at either end of the zoom range.

The other thing to consider is speaker type and placement. You don't want your speakers right against the side walls, so you need a little room to let them breathe.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any of the equipment on site yet but it's come in. The basement is still being finished so they won't be able to install the AV stuff for another month.

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'm going to stick with the 103". Can't wait to see it all set up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts